+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Commander 227

chrome plating

Mike,

Was that the "good buddy" price on the plating or the price for everyone? I would be interested in boxing up my parts and shipping to the plater. If you could provide some contact info that would be great, Thanks ! Carl
    PS Your New Ensign looks great!

Chome

jshisha - I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe chrome is extremely hard and wear resistant.

Carl - No good buddy discount, just found him from talking to hot rod guys and bikers.

J & D Custom Plating
    2124 Gilbert Ave.
    St. Paul, MN 55104
    651-251-7400

Wow. Pretty shiny bits! AND a great price too...
    I did not think of chroming the window frames... I should have! (I just painted them).

Great job on the waterline stripe... You certainly went after the sure-fire method of getting it right!
    I was very careful to keep marks when prepping for the new gelcoat. I did hiring a travel-lift would have been expensive!

I love the contrast with the coambings. Amazing.

Did you keep the conventional bulbs in the nav lights? I've yet to install mine since I'd like to go LED...

Jshisha; I do think that the chrome finish will hold-up nicely... I cannot even see even small scratches on my winches yet!

Back in the water

I put the Princess back in the water the other day, the poor old girl is nowhere near complete but working on her outside in a dirt parking lot wasn't doing her new paint any good.
    Still to do list;
    Finish installing the head.
    Finish wiring; stern light, interior lights and neaten up the bundles.
    Fabricate and install door for the head. None of the other interior work will likely get touched this summer.
    Install winch towers.
    Install Genoa tracks (I almost installed them yesterday but decided they were not shiny enough and sent them out to be chromed)
    Install midship horn cleats.
    Run halyards and running rigging.
    Pic #1 New under deck furling line
    Pic #2 1:2 furling. each foot of furling line will bring in two feet of sail
    Pic #3 Furling control exit. My wife has staked a claim to the cockpit forward of the winch towers (which she had me mount farther aft) and deemed it to be a "gizmo free zone". All sail controls are being lead aft of the winches so she will not be bothered when I am tacking, jibing or other such nonsense.
    Pic #4 Traveler and main control.
    Attached Images        

Congrats on the ongoing reclaimation of The Princess! The furler line running belowdecks is a novel idea that I haven't seen on any A/Cs (reminds me of some of my old MC Scow's line management) My first thought though was water intrusion at that point...? You know more than I by a long shot, hence my question - seems like an open hole to the elements directed inside the cabin! Inquiring minds (or just my mind) want to know.
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 05-08-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Mike interesting innovations

I assume the underdeck furler enters below deck close enough to the bow to drain into the chain locker and then down into the keel. With the 2:1 purchase that has to make it easier to furl and unfurl.

I also like the center fixed block and cleat to keep the mainsail sheet always located at the same spot and not moving back and forth with the traveler. I may steel that idea on my commander. One thing I do with my traveler that I find very useful is a continuous loop on the control line. It is much easier when the boat is heeled to uncleat the leeward cleat and it gets rid of a lot of unecessary line in the cockpit.

You have come a long way and completed a lot of the major work on your rebuild. Mine is just beginning. Have you test fired the electric drive yet?

Electric inboard motor

Heres the preliminary report on the "Dragon Drive" (named by my 15 year old son, who claimed young people are not getting into sailing because it's not marketed in an exciting enough manor)

In short, I could not be happier with the performance. It has far more power than I need or hoped for and uses far less power. heres the MPH/amp break down (measured on flat water and calm winds);

2.5amps = 2.6 mph.
    5.0 amps = 3 mph
    10 amps = 3.6 mph
    15 amps = 4.3 mph
    20 amps = 4.6 mph
    30 amps = 5.1 mph
    40 amps = 5.4 mph
    65 amps = 5.8 mph (wide open)

I installed 4 standard group 27 deep cycle marine batteries that claim 77 amp/hours at a 25 amp draw, that totals 308 amps.
    I'm running a 12X10 two bladed prop and the boat accelerates and stops like right now! I can enter my slip at 2 knots and stop before the bow hits. I do get some tiller vibration and prop noise when I crank her way up and expect the prop is too big for the aperture. I'm going to cut it down to a 11X10.
    I ended up using a golf cart throttle pot. It has a fairly strong return spring in case it gets hit accidentlly and a 1/4 turn on the knob will hold a power setting. one switch for on/off, one switch for fwd/rev, and a ammeter.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Commander227; 05-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.

The furling line entrance is in the chain locker and I shimmed it up to prevent most deck wash from running in. I don't mind a little water getting in.
    The furler is 1:2 not 2:1 so it is harder to pull, not easier. the point was to be able to roll it up quicker with less line on the cockpit floor. the head sail rolls up so easy that I didn't feel I needed the 1:1. Your right Dawg, it is MC inspired.
    I like to sit pretty far forward in the cockpit, and I go to the traveler more than the mainsheet when sailing to weather so the continuous loop does not work too well for me. I just leave the leeward side uncleated.
    Last edited by Commander227; 05-08-2009 at 10:10 AM.

I'm confused

Your system is 48VDC drive correct? So if you hook up 4ea group 27 batteries that are 12 volt you have to hook them up in series to get the 48VDC current but your amp hours would not accumulate they would stay at the original 77 amp hours that each battery is rated for correct? Or am I unside down on this?

If I'm correct and you keep the throttle down to 3amp draw and you only draw down the battery half way you still could travel 12.83 hours at 3 MPH for a total distance of 38.49 miles on a charge. Not to shabby!!

Am I figuring this stuff correct or am I off in left field?

C-147,
    You got it right, my range may be a little longer at low speeds thou as the rating is figured with a 25 amp draw, one of these days I'll have time to do a longer run and check the range. the longest run so far has been 5 miles at varying speeds.

Maiden voyage.

One of my customers just emailed me this pic of The Princess's maiden voyage.
    Attached Images  

She sure is looking good

Gunkholing at sunset

The electric inboard has been great for gunkholing. Here we are sliding down a long windless channel between Mahpiyata & Big islands.
    Attached Images    

Mike

How does she handle in reverse with the elec drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander 147 View Post

How does she handle in reverse with the elec drive?
    Plenty of stopping power, good acceleration, but like any long keeled boat with an attached rudder there is not much control. She just likes to go straight back with a little torque to port no matter what the tiller is doing.

+ Reply to Thread