+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Commander 227

Burton Cup

Upwind at the Burton Cup
    Attached Images  

Cool. That pic makes The Princess look like a 30 footer!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

That's exactly so! 30' or mo' Sleek!
    Like to see something on the cyrano.

Spring clean up

Still feels like winter here in Minnesota... Freezing rain and snow for most of this week, highs in the 30s and low 40s, night time lows below freezing. We still have over 24" of ice on the lake. But we've had some nice days, the days are getting longer and spring will come.
    Big changes for me, I resigned as manager or SYC last fall and will soon be selling my % to my partner. (Lesson learned, never a minority partner be.)
    I am having rotator cuff surgery next week, so with one arm and no shop I brought The Princess up to Bob's shop to have him do the spring tune up. On the list is the bright work which really needed to be done last spring. Recoat the bottom, I got four years on the Vivid bottom paint but that should have been done last spring as well. I noticed last fall that water was getting into the cockpit sole core around my rudder post. I caulked the joint to get me through the year but now I'll have Bob open it up and repair it properly. There are also four years worth of nicks and scratches I'll have him tune up.
    With the slow recovery from shoulder surgery I'm sure to be truly "single handing" a lot this summer. The Princess's simple rigging will be even more appreciated.
    There will be 5 Commanders on the lower lake this summer and there is some talk of informal One Design racing. We'll see if that pans out.
    Attached Images  

Mike

Sorry to hear your shoulder is giving you issues. I had that surgery done several years ago and it went surprisingly well. I think I even surprised my surgeon when I went back for a follow up and he wanted to see what range of motion I had after the arm had been in a sling. I did not want to have my shoulder freeze up by being immobolized for a long time so I would occasionally take my arm out of the sling and work at my desk with it out of the sling. I did not push it but just got some movement going so it did not freeze up. Seemed to help.

You know all this time I've been working on Destiny I had stuff sitting in the aft end of the cockpit so I did not walk on the cockpit floor in that area until recently. It pretty much ticked me off when I felt the mushy floor there also. So While I do the elec. installation I will also be recoring the cockpit sole. Silly me I thought I was done with recoring work.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Hope both you and Princess heal flawlessly!

Hey Mike - Best of luck on the minor repairs /tune-up you and the Princess are getting... And best of luck on the new ventures! Let us know what you are up to.
    Cheers!

Hey Mike,
    Had my rotator cuff repaired on 2/12/13 and like Jerry it went surprisingly well. This is my second round, the first being 8 years ago. In addition to this surgeon gloriously (for me) using a nerve block that rendered my arm 100% numb as a 2x4 for about 18 hours - he also ordered an cold compression contraption like the one below for me to use and it was my best friend for 2 weeks - especially when sleeping. It was about $400 to rent, but SO worth every penny. 43* water circulating through a firm hug around my shoulder for many of those initial hours kept the swelling at bay. My first surgery recovery with no initial nerve block or ice machine was really, really painful, but I took only ibuprofen for this one!! 8 weeks post surgery and I'm just now allowed to start using very light resistance with my physical therapy protocol. Like Jerry, I released myself from my sling regularly after a couple days, but it is really easy to accidentally use that arm like it's functional. When you start to feel good at about 4 weeks, is apparently the critical time that most people re-tear. Resist the urge, Man. It is slow, but you should be good to go at 3 months. Your 24" of ice might be melted by then.

Name:  iceicebaby.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  66.8 KB

This is the one I had: http://www.thermotekusa.com/md_vascutherm.php
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 04-09-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Perhaps one of our last sails of the year in shorts and tees last night. High 80s, 10 knots breeze and a lake devoid of powerboats. Life is good.
    Attached Images  

Okay I'm officially jealous.... I've been working 7 days a week for 5 weeks now and unable to even touch Destiny. I need a life......
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Night sail

Beautiful night. Light wind, close reaching under code zero, migrating pelicans...
    Attached Images  

You live a charmed life, Mike.
    My home has a keel.

Don't I know it Tony!

Another great sail last night, beautiful sunset at the same time as a full moon rising. Blowing a perfect 10 knots, a nice cheese plate, hoppy IPA, Acustic Greatful Dead playing and my arm around my sweetie.
    The Princess is comming out of the water on Saturday as we will be traveling in the beginning of October so we have been happy for the warm nights.
    Attached Images    

Dark shot

Don't know, but I can see a monster head in the twinkling !

The fat lady sings

So sad to call it early this year.
    The Ensign in the picture, Tranquility, is my Dad's boat that he bought new in 1965 and has raced every year since. Dad worked for Honeywell as a EE and bought the boat with his overtime earnings while working on an escape system for one of the Apollo missions. ($2,200. w/o sails) the mission he worked on landed in the Sea of Tranquility on the moon, giving her her name. six of us kids learned to love sailing on this boat. Dad would let us take her out by ourselves when we turned 13 if we could pass his test. In those days before jet skis it was a thrill. Great lessons on independence and responsibility.
    We had our last Ensign race last Thursday. At 85 dad no longer sails without a crew so we pulled her early as well. It was nice to get them cleaned up and put away in nice weather.
    Not sure why the pictures are upside down...
    Attached Images    

+ Reply to Thread