Thread: Commander 227

Threaded View

Commander 227

My wife and I picked up this Commander in Milwaukee a few weeks ago and are doing a "quick and dirty" make over to get her in the water ASAP.
    The sailing season is way too short here in Minnesota to dally. Over the winter we will give her a proper bottom job, repaint the freeboard and decks, install an Atomic 4 to replace the O.B. and build some cabnets in the cuddy. Until then; The glass under all 4 of the life line stanchions was damaged and the core was rotten. The bow pulpit was loose with minor rot. Sailing on inland lakes the life lines, bow and stern pulpits are not necessary and I think they wreck the pretty lines of the Commander so they will not be going back on. The head pump out and the cowl vent looked like they were never sealed and the core around them was very rotten. The cabin top was also quite soft and I think the forward hatch also wrecks the lines so we have to recore most of the cabin top. As we are going to be repainting the decks over the winter I'm not to concerned with preserving the original nonskid so I am doing most of the repairs from the top. I step drilled and filled nearly all the old hardware holes as We will be replacing most of the original hardware. Amazingly, the core around the chain plates is dry. The cuddy had to be completly sanded down as there was a badly peeling paint job inside. I'll post pics in allittle while.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Commander227; 06-17-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: add pics