+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The oft discussed outboard extra ballast revealed

Hybrid View

Did you get 226 up in Hampton or York River Yacht Haven?
    Who was the former owners?

I bought it from Herb Tucker

Herb lived in Hayes, VA just across the James River from Yorktown.

He bought the boat from a man who (if I understand correctly) bought the boat from a charity (sea scouts?).

The boats linage appears to be;

Me

Herb Tucker: Great guy. Replaced the combing boards, and some of the deck core. Painted the topsides and addressed the maintenance issues identified as problem areas in the manual. He also added some nice upgrades like the boards that span the center of the cabin and turn it into a large bunk.

Unknown short-term investor: sold boat to Herb, believed to have bought boat from a charity auction and painted cabin and deck in an attempt to 'spruce it up'. This person does not appear to have owned the boat for long.

Original owner: Herb met this man, and spoke to him about the boat. He apparently was a member of a local Yacht club and raced the boat in regattas. There might have been a few Ariel’s purchased at around the same time, and I do not know if they would have been out of Hampton or the other side of the bridge.

I would place my bet on this owner as the one who had done this modification, or had it done. The condition of the boat shows it was well maintained, and the work was well done (much more consistent with the earlier malignance then with that of "Unknown short-term investor".

I know Herb was moving shortly after he sold me the boat, but I will try to contact him to get more information.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I gotta ask--why take them out?

I remember seeing a rusty ring down in my bilge, glass all under it. Must be them pigs.

Who are they hurtin?

The "rusty rings" in your bilge are connected to the boat's "external ballast" in the keel. The "pigs" are/were loose blocks of lead just sitting in the bilge. About 200 lbs worth to compensate for the missing Atomic-4. If you have an inboard engine, no pigs. Oink, oink.

Removing the pigs makes the boat more "lively," which might not be comfortable for some. But, if you race . . .

Ok, that was Herb's boat, I remember it well, was wondering what ever became of it.
    Good boat, It was around here forever and I think sailed out of Fishing Bay YC .
    where you keeping her ?
    Beaufort?

Post Mike, Pete, & Bill

Mike,

Yes, it was Herb's boat. I bought her and brought her down here to the New River (Jacksonville) NC. Good sailing here on the river, Hang a right on the ICW and you are out Topsail inlet, or a left gets you to Beaufort.

They are supposed to dredge the New River inlet again here in a couple months, (I ran it once, last fall...... I would not recommend it).

Herb was a good steward of 226, I hope the same may be true of me. I have re-tabbed the hull-to-deck joint around the transom, re-built the stbd corner that had been formed out of bondo (?) at some point, and am working my way forward up the decks grinding the gelcoat crazing and building epoxy as I go.

My intent is to do the jobs, whatever I work on, to be able to meet a couple standards;

Can I honestly say this is the right way to do this?

Can I feel comfortable taking this off shore?

Now, I know those are fairly subjective standards. I also know that 5 Sailors might have 10 answers on some issues. I am for the counsel I receive here.

Commander Pete said;
    I gotta ask--why take them out?

I remember seeing a rusty ring down in my bilge, glass all under it. Must be them pigs.

Who are they hurtin?
    I am inclined to agree. I find de-pigged boats to be a bit tender, I rather like the stability of my boat. Ole Carl decided them pigs needed to be there, who am I to argue? No, the inquiry on my part is more about understanding what may be under that glass, and what all is SUPPOSED to be down there. Thanks to the input I have gotten, it is more clear now.

Bill said;
    Removing the pigs makes the boat more "lively," which might not be comfortable for some. But, if you race . . .
    And I do. #226 finished 8th of 16 in our Fall series regatta, with a little help from PHRF, and a healthy field of DNF's (I may not be the fastest, but I can get off the bottom faster then much of the others ). Pretty good for the ole girl when you figure she had the disadvantage of bagged 40 year old sails and a sub par skipper.

I wonder though, would not removing the pigs shorten the LWL ?

The boat heals, the water line grows . . . get the weight out if you race.

OK, here's a rookie, gentleman day-sailor question. I've found that it is great fun to bury the rail in a big breeze but my GPS indicates more leeway, less getting to where I'm going and more weather helm which I perceive as dragging the rudder. That's a long way of saying I think its slower. If I sail it standing up more it seems faster though less dramatic. Therefore, doesn't all that weight help?

Also, I seem to have one of the few Commanders where the ballast has not been glassed in and the lift-rings are intact. Guess I got lucky.

My Ariel had the atomic 4 removed, and has an outboard in the well. The prop shaft is still there and can spin....I have not removed it. Perhaps adding pigs would help her be less tender? Also, does anyone else have a pig in the bow? One of the previous owners put a large one in the bow and encapsulated it with foam. Perhaps to offset the weight of the outboard, but is seems to me this would increase the hobby horse effect, and she has it for sure.

Any ideas?

I do not have the budget to re power her with an inboard....and I find the 8 HP to still not be enough when fighting a current, and the 6 HP tohatsu sail pro was dangerously underpowered in my opinion....nowhere near hull speed.

Anyone try to fit a 9.9 high thrust?

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread