+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The oft discussed outboard extra ballast revealed

Hybrid View

Old thread I know, I was looking up info on weather helm, and got side tracked. The bilge on 97 looks identical to the pictures above, A nice glassed over shallow bilge, no deep sump. She was never gutted though theres seems to be a fair ammount of "aftermarket" glass work, most notable around the deck/hull joint.

So does the above boat have a glassed in blige, like 97, maybe because the are both inboard hulls? or did someone glass in 97's blige?
    #97 "Absum!"

Quote Originally Posted by tha3rdman
    So does the above boat have a glassed in blige, like 97, maybe because the are both inboard hulls? or did someone glass in 97's blige?
    The bilge on A-76 was glassed, but not sealed. Epoxied it to keep bilge water from entering the keel area. Not sure, but believe the bilge came that way from the factory. With high hull numbers, Pearson was cutting corners and did not glass the bilge.

Talking reduced weight for added provisions

I took those lead pigs outta mine too....to allow for more beef stew. I already said that ---however as the provisions were used(I wonder where those tin cans are now) the boat would inevitably sit higher.BF'nD
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 06-18-2006 at 08:06 PM.

For Posterity's Sake

A picture of my lead pig. Note: Ariel 414 is an inboard model. Guess someone thought 200# or so of engine just wasn't enough ballast... It'd be nice to get it out of there someday.
    Attached Images  
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Water Ballast????????????????????????????

Ya kno' its like I sez before----the lead pigs were removed to allow for more provisions.If ya' read the part about how I removed the v-berth cushions to allow formore storage space-----well picture this----8 five gallon sparkletts bottles in the v berth----4 each aligned amidships on eachside.now --as the water was used -----what to do with the empties???? hmmmmm----lesseeeee-----the vp-os plotting sheets-----with a felt tipped indelible marker(aka:sharpies)---I wrote notes on these sheets-who what where when----put them in the bottles----secured the plastic top reall good with sealant and duct tape-----man nowyaz" gotta real *****in message in a bottle----note -----this was done during the way back---outhere in nowheresville---1n 1985.where dooyaz' tink dey b' now?????????????/------totally encrusted with marine sea growth------turned crazed yellow by the sun----- probably half submerged by the shear weight of the encrusted barnacles-----or washed up on some tropical atoll------where my mind is when I think about it

one piece lead pig

After reading the recent posts on this subject I ran out and looked under The Princess's skirts and found this!!!!!
    It measures 32" long, 10.5 " wide (12" forward & 9" aft) and 5" deep. Thats 1680 Cubic inches of lead!!! One cubic foot of lead(1728 CI) weighs 708 lbs, so even with the side relief cut and the triangle cut out of the bottom for water passage it's got to be at least 500 lbs. It has 2 lifting rings, one fore and one aft and is set in with glass tape between the two sole hatches. 12" wide and the sole hatch measures 11.5", it'll be a trick getting it out.
    I had looked at and wondered about it with mild curiosity, but did not know that extra ballast was added to some boats. The boat is so stiff I'm sure I won't miss it if I can Rubik's cube it out. I guess it would be worth tearing up the sole if I have to.
    Attached Images    

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

Barring the 'concrete' bilge posted a few years back, I do believe this is the largest pig discovered in our collective bilges yet. No lipstick needed-she's a natural beauty.

Be careful when you peel up that sole. I found a little rot on the main bulkhead and look at what that lead to... Seriously though, the 3/4" sub-sole extentds under the forward riser by the main bulkhead and under the aft riser in the galley area on the Ariels. I don't know how those areas differ on the Commanders but if it is more similar that dislike removal will require a little finess, glass grinding and hidden screw removal. Nothing insurmountable.

+ Reply to Thread