+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The oft discussed outboard extra ballast revealed

Hybrid View

Commander ballast question

I recently received the Ariel/Commander owners manual and maintenance guide and while reading it I learned something I did not previously know. It states that the ballast on the Commander inboard model is 2,500 lbs. lead casting set inside the keel and fiberglassed in place. But for the outboard model (which I believe is the way most of the Commanders were sold) there was an extra 500 lbs. lead casting which is portable and fits in the bottom of the keel.

My question is this. If I repower an outboard model with an inboard can the extra 500lbs. be removed without major surgery?

Yes,

Removal of the lead 'pigs' is generally not a problem. While Faith has the unusual 'inished' bilge, her extra ballast was easily removed (I wish I had done it sooner).

Most Ariel / Commanders have the 'deep bilge' and the lead pigs are sitting down at the bottom of the bilge. Just a little bit of heave ho and out they go.

You should find bunches of discussion on it, with pictures if you search on extra ballast.

On edit;

Here is one to get you started; http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...=extra+ballast
    Last edited by c_amos; 11-18-2008 at 05:22 PM.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Thanks c_amos for your quick reply...

I tried a couple of searches before I asked the question but did not apparently hit on the right key words for the search.

That makes me feel better about my future plans.

+ Reply to Thread