+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The oft discussed outboard extra ballast revealed

Hybrid View

Pix

Here is a shot of the little bugger. It has an interesting three taper shape, almost like it could be lowered into the keel as ballast. My keel under the soleplate is shallow and smooth like Capt. Amos' boat, and I neither know nor care what is underneath. This little guy was laying on his side under the rear hatch.

It seems strange to say that a 5500 lb. boat acts twitchy without that lead, but it really does.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dan Maliszewski; 07-21-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: reduce picture size
    ()-9

338's lead pig that came with the boat IS exactly like that one.
    It fits in the bilge (as 338 knows it) right at the end of the encapsulated keel.
    It fits right where you should have the bilge pump.

The encapsulated keel does end, tho in 338 the encapsulating frp did not cover the end of the lead very well. This was a good thing because it allowed the keel to drain most of the time into the 'sump'.

I think a a sump is necessary for this reason and to have a LOWEST point for the bilge pump hose. I would dig out whatever is in there to have the benefit a sump gives you and your boat. Which is to keep the boat and the laminate as dry as possible.

Otherwise you will aways have a sodden bilge and a keel cavity with 5 to 6 gallons of water in it.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-20-2005 at 12:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread