Mike,

Yes, it was Herb's boat. I bought her and brought her down here to the New River (Jacksonville) NC. Good sailing here on the river, Hang a right on the ICW and you are out Topsail inlet, or a left gets you to Beaufort.

They are supposed to dredge the New River inlet again here in a couple months, (I ran it once, last fall...... I would not recommend it).

Herb was a good steward of 226, I hope the same may be true of me. I have re-tabbed the hull-to-deck joint around the transom, re-built the stbd corner that had been formed out of bondo (?) at some point, and am working my way forward up the decks grinding the gelcoat crazing and building epoxy as I go.

My intent is to do the jobs, whatever I work on, to be able to meet a couple standards;

Can I honestly say this is the right way to do this?

Can I feel comfortable taking this off shore?

Now, I know those are fairly subjective standards. I also know that 5 Sailors might have 10 answers on some issues. I am for the counsel I receive here.

Commander Pete said;
I gotta ask--why take them out?

I remember seeing a rusty ring down in my bilge, glass all under it. Must be them pigs.

Who are they hurtin?
I am inclined to agree. I find de-pigged boats to be a bit tender, I rather like the stability of my boat. Ole Carl decided them pigs needed to be there, who am I to argue? No, the inquiry on my part is more about understanding what may be under that glass, and what all is SUPPOSED to be down there. Thanks to the input I have gotten, it is more clear now.

Bill said;
Removing the pigs makes the boat more "lively," which might not be comfortable for some. But, if you race . . .
And I do. #226 finished 8th of 16 in our Fall series regatta, with a little help from PHRF, and a healthy field of DNF's (I may not be the fastest, but I can get off the bottom faster then much of the others ). Pretty good for the ole girl when you figure she had the disadvantage of bagged 40 year old sails and a sub par skipper.

I wonder though, would not removing the pigs shorten the LWL ?