+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

From the tack to the aft end of the boom, not including the outhaul assembly, still works out to be 11'-11 3/8". At first I was worried about shortening the boom too much, but, it seems to be just fine (at this point).
    Attached Images      

Tony, Thanks for this photo series on the boom refit!!

Ah-Ha! We got a bite. It's still cold in the shop up here in the hinterland. Sure would appreciate some California sunshine to get summer started...I was able to suffer through making some VHMW bushings for the goosneck fittings yesterday.

Now I'm trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to fit a 4:1 or 6:1 block system inside the boom for the outhaul. Oh yeah, I don't want it to be clanking around in there either(rubber padded blocks). I'd like to keep it inside the boom in order to save the outside surface for the reefing system. Of course, it could go between the goosneck and the mast step on the aftside of the mast but that area is already going to be pretty crowded.

If I can figure this one out then maybe we'll tackle the foil spreaders I'd like to paint the spars early this year in hope of getting my @#!whooping out of the way, right away, so then I'll have all summer to fix them

Any thoughts?

Inside Outhaul

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G
    Now I'm trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to fit a 4:1 or 6:1 block system inside the boom for the outhaul.
    Any thoughts?
    The rigger who installed a four-to-one outhaul inside the boom on #76, built it in an aluminum tube and slid it into the boom. I believe the tube was split to give access for installing the blocks and line and was then folded closed as it went into the boom.

Bill,

That's waaay better than what I was thinking. You guys on the coast(s) get all of the good stuff.

I have a couple of questions about 76's set up. Do you find the 4:1 purchase is enough to comfortably/easily adjust the outhaul? Is the fixed block in the system attached to the inner tube mechanically or is there a line attached to it that exits the boom and is tied off somewhere to 'fix' the block's location. Or, is it attached in some manner that my wee-little, land locked mind hasn't even thought of yet? Did the tube add much weight to the boom?

I realize some of these questions may require a trip to your boat to answere. And, of course, if at all possible take some pictures.

These days, I find the 4 to 1 advantage to be marginal when sailing to wind. May be due to my "maturity," but it (and a future jib halyard) is the reason for the port side cabin top winch. It may also no longer be 4 to 1 as there were two owners between selling the boat in 1988 and repurchasing it in 1997.

As for how it's done, sorry, but I don't have a clue. Had it installed by a local rigger who specialized in such things. I'm pretty sure the inner tube and hardware are mechanically fixed. As for weight, the tube material is pretty thin, so I don't think it's an issue.
    Last edited by Bill; 04-12-2005 at 08:20 AM.

Eyebrows, they're all the rage!

After weeks of low temps and cruddy weather, I finally got to do a little something on the boat. Whadyuh think? I was unsure at first, but after I painted a port frame on I like it!

I also added a buffet table to the aft end of the cockpit. Pictures will follow.
    Attached Images  

Here's the new cockpit table. Big enough for the whole family and plastic covered for the little tykes that spill alot.
    Attached Images  

The BIG score!

Can you believe it? Someone was throwing this away! That should solve the 'head' problem. And the name...it says it all
    Attached Images  

Another four consecutive hours of work. Something big could happen here.
    Attached Images  

Nice work there Tony,
    What was the issue with the deck that led you to take all the gelcoat off. Did you have to recore?

Absolutely the worst job is grinding the inside of the hull, looks like you did a heroic job. Only a damn fool would do it, just plain nuts!

Somebody should invent a handy sandblaster like a wand that would spit out the media and vacuum it up at the same time. Have some different tips, but you'd wave it over hull and the paint would dissappear. With an adjustment you could remove paint from ply with it. You'd still wear a mask but the air wouldn't be dirty, nor the rest of the surfaces in the boat. Sigh
    Last edited by ebb; 06-04-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Blasting Paint

If you want to just remove paint , use corn meal as the blast media , for decades we have used that in restoration of motorcycles and cars . It is hard enough to take off paint and leave a beautiful surface .

Ebb,

The decks were gray which I thought would get too warm. Also, they were coated, rather haphazzardly I might add, with a rubberized paint. Add to that the fact that we had to do some cosmetic work on those ugliest of side deck scuppers and it just, plain and simple, had to come off. A long arduous job I hope no one else has to do again. But on the lighter side, it was then I discovered that one of the POs had allready done a recore job on 113. Wow! I'm off the hook!

So..well, you know how it goes. I have to fill in the scupper cut-outs and make some new ones farther back on the side decks where the water actually pools. And then I thought about frameless ports in the main cabin, dorade vents, a sea hood, an instrument dashboard, new sliding hatch, dropboards, winch pads, a new toe-rail, a new rub-rail, an anchor locker, thru-hulls and seacocks, MSD and holding tank, water tank, alot to do with the spars, oh yeah-we gotta modify the outboard well for a four stroke, etc.. That says nothing to the fact of all the canvas work and all of the interior work yet to be done.

Now, none of this should be a problem because I've finally secured a slip next year. So I guess we have an official deadline to meet. Whew! I was begining to think this job would never end. To think it all started with a 'sail away' boat with a little rot in the bottom of a bulkhead.

Sir, I need a machine that goes around vacuuming up behind me constantly! No matter what I'm doing I'm making more dust and dirt. It seems I can't even sit on my boat a drink a beer without making a slight mess.

I'm bewildered and tired, but grinning.

Motor well

A 6hp 4 stroke fits fine as is and is all the power you need and only weighs 55lbs , a 9.9 is 115 or more . The sump on the 8's & 9.9's gets in the way .
    Just got my Nissan 6 back from servicing

Mike,

Maybe I'm just whimping out with my advancing age, but, I'd like both electric start and an alternator on the outboard. Lighter weight sure would be nice. If there was a company out there that sold good, cheap, quality made (pick any two) after market pieces that one could slap on a 6HP we'd be all over that.

+ Reply to Thread