+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I've always thought the skinny 3/16 wire rope littlegull came with was.... skinny enough!
    I'm upweighting to 1/4".

The thing that gets me, as the host on anything sailing.com said... you could tack your genoa and have the crossing sheets melt your forestay.
    Suffice to say that even UHMWPE is still a plastic
    and very vulnerable to anything hot or sharp.

I feel that creep is a problem too. High static load deformation.
    Instead of turnbuckles to have adjustability you have to go with a clippership inspired deadeye system using thimbles. Joe Cooper.
    I feel all those turning points are not really healthy for any rope.

They say you will have to replace Dyneema standing rigging every 4 years in the tropics. Because of UV degrading that the blue polyurethane coating can't really stop.
    Not what a cruiser wants to hear. But maybe some can hack that.

Somebody with a pocket knife can bring your mast down!
    10 characters
    Last edited by ebb; 06-18-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Thumbs up The tide has changed

Well at long last. Pretty insignificant but it is square to the centerline and plumb based on the water lines!

There is a 1/2" styro pad between the hull and the bulkhead. Standard fare here, all of the edges were sealed with two coats of epoxy. My scribe job on the top edge left a lot to be desired but we'll fill the gap with thickened epoxy before we tab the top to the overhead. I 'planed-out' two two inch wide bands to accept the tabbing on the aft face. One layer of stiched matting and one layer of 7 oz. glass. The new position of the bulkhead is just forward of the original, heavy tabbing layed by Pearson on the forward edge of the chainlocker. Being their tabbing added a good quarter of an inch I didn't feel the need to use roving on this side. The forward side will get the glass, matt, roving, matt lay-up to add thickness and strength to the forepeak.

That opening looks tight but I can fit through it alright. Maybe I should find a small monkey that would like to travel...artemia salinas
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tony G; 06-30-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    My home has a keel.

The real deal

Once again, most of my boat work has been ordering supplies and trying to scavenge ideas. I need the input and ideas from people with regards to what works for them and what you find that turns out to be a waste of space (or time).

I like this...bin(?) behind the galley sink. Looks like a handy place to put things you don't want 'getting away' from you. Some folks have stated that hammock/nets are less than favorable. I can see their point.

I try to live by the adage, "A place for everything and everything in it's place." But maybe that doesn't mean out of site. I might have to accept that open storage and shelves may be more realistic on a small boat. It's not that I was difficult to potty train, or anything, I just feel things are more secure when enclosed and therefore afford a higher degree of safety. But then I counter that reasoning with the less ventilation and better hiding for unwanted pests...

Chime in and chuck a photo or two at the wall. Let's see what sticks.
    Attached Images        
    My home has a keel.

How about a midships galley with folding table? These counters even have nice curves resembling the ones you put in. However, rather than the full blown folding table, I think I'd go for a fold out counter or two, and have a portable table that could be used in the cockpit as well.
    PS. Notice the compression post? Let's you pull that bulkhead out a bit.
    Attached Images  
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

That wooden spaghetti strainer is a nice touch!

Tony

I'm with you on the bin behind the sink. I like the idea of putting things like mayo and mustard, lettuce etc. there while you are making sandwhiches where they can't escape from the "cook" when the boat heels. You could do a fold up table to the side of the sink where the sandwhices could be built and you would be close to everything you needed. And when you put all of that back in the cooler you have a place to store dirty dishes until the end of the day when they get washed and keep them out of the sink so it is still available for use.

The other thing that there never seems to be a good way of dealing with is the trash container. I am working on an idea for a trash container that is easily accessable from the cockpit but out of the way.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Mike I just knew that you could contribute a photo (or two or three, hint, hint) here. So far I see two spots for a fold-up counter that will add some work space. I used to dream of a big galley table a few folks could sit around swapping stories and ideas while eating a good meal. But these are small boats. A folding cockpit table would be great though!

Ebb, you might recognize that basket from the Scott Sprague cutter listing you brought us from yachtworld. Lots and lots of beautiful stuff there. Like all of the room I thought we had. What I wish for is Little Gull's masterfully planned and finely executed interior, but I've learned to accept that my brain pan don't work that way.

Talkin' trash with Jerry! Laura and Charlie Jones did a real nice install on their boat Tehani. They used a squared pail that was tucked into the galley cabinetry under a step. Easy to get to but otherwise out of sight. I don't think it would be easy to reach from the cockpit though. so how about a sneak peek at your idea?

There used to be roughly 50,000 photos of the Bristol Channel Cutter galley with fold-up counters but this is the only one I can find now. But here's a Falmouth Cutter galley too. Following Mike's suggestion of looking at 22 footers for ideas that could realistically fit in our hulls.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Tony G; 07-14-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    My home has a keel.

Tony

I really like that fold up table that crosses from one side to the other. I think I'm going to use that idea on Destiny, thanks for posting that picture.

As far as the trash idea I was simply thinking of a fold up bracket that would be mounted to the inside of the bulkhead at the aft end of the cabin just inside the companionway. During the day this bracket would hold a plastic trash bag that you could easily toss things into from the cockpit. At the end of the day the trash bag is removed the bracket folded down and out of the way.

I was also thinking about your bin behind the galley sink idea and it occured to me that you could make the bin removeable and build a upper cabinet right above where it goes to store the bin when not in use. Then under the bin area you could have your trash container. The trash would stay there even when the bin is dropped in place for use. Just tossing out ideas. :-)
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

A "For Sale" Ariel a while back had its trash in a cockpit locker, and a hole through one of the aft bulkheads to access it from the cabin...
    Mike

I remember that one, Mike. If I recall correctly they also put the batteries under a setee. That one also spawned a rather heated and opinionated discussion over 'rebuild' vs. 'remodel'.

I never expected everyone to like what I've done, I just wanted to know if I've done something really stupid or potentially dangerous!

Free beer for the first one to post photos or a link to said boat!!!
    My home has a keel.

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    A "For Sale" Ariel a while back had its trash in a cockpit locker, and a hole through one of the aft bulkheads to access it from the cabin...

That's ex-"Che", now "Mariah", Tim D's Ariel. The one where Adam (when she was "Che") put the hard dodger on her.

I had considered putting the batteries under the aft-most part of the v-berth berths, but instead now have them on the cabin sole, just aft the bulkhead opening. A box over them makes a nifty step-up spot that aids getting in and out of my raised v-berth, and there is also the benefit of their weight being closer to the boats CG.

Gimmee beer!
    Last edited by epiphany; 07-12-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Free beer. ;)
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Hey, I wasn't at the computer!

Another pic from the "ideas" folder:

Aft galley, and you could gain extra foot/storage space by making the v-berth a "shelf".
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 07-12-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Add pics
    Mike

Mike, if the aft head would have somehow fit I was definately planning on adding some cubbies under the v-berth/setee forward lounge area. If the ideas had only come before the seahood and rails got added... Maybe another Ariel in the future being we sold the Ensign.

Kurt, I'll set one aside for you. As soon as you stop by and drink it I'll set another and another and another....well, you get the picture.
    My home has a keel.

Then there's the fold-up sink. I always thought this was a very clever and ingenious space-saving idea. Doesn't have to be in the head either, you know...

Hey, you asked for pics!
    Attached Images  
    Mike

That's right, Mike. We'll take photos of any boat.

Finally got to spend a day at the shop. All of this is still less than one 4 x 8 sheet of 1/4" and a ton, well, maybe not quite a ton, but a whole lot lighter than what I tore out this spring.

Gotta sand off some of that nice white bilgekote for the locker(s) drain tubes and make a clear spot for tabbing. The water tank goes in next, I believe. Then chain well divider followed by v-berth deck. I think...

I think she's ready for water!
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Tony G; 07-22-2010 at 06:12 AM.
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread