+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Tony

great interior!.. your forward hatch install is cool. will the birch ply on the interior be finished bright (while the exterior is GRP)??

cheers,
    bill@ariel231

Ebb, I'm pretty sure this is the longest on going paint job in A/C history

The sign didn't work, Mike. Found myself drinking dark & stormys at the end of the day.

Thanks, Bill. The inside will be painted white. We have been toying with the idea of ash strips on the overhead to hide the p.o.'s plywood remod. We're far from done though, and as this thread demonstrates, things change!

Well, here's something I was not planning on doing today-or ever for that matter. But the grinder made a lot of noise going over it and sounding it with a screw driver confirmed it (sounded like a bongo). It will be solid when we're done. Bummer. That's another 3 or 4 days of work added on to the heap.

On the up-side, I did get to break out the vacuum bagger. And for anyone out there wondering, taffeta does work as a peel-ply for the poor man. Fortunately for me my mother is a top-notch seamstress and I now understand that taffeta is a fabric and not a food item. Woa!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony G; 10-23-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Capt T.
    Looks like you got some breatheing ports into the foreward stateroom going there ?? What kind of cowls will you use? Dorades maybe?

Keep up the good works!

Ebb, sir

Somewhere in this thread is a pic of these dorade boxes I tried to make with, then, the last of my teak. (rasberry) We can do better. Bigger, not because it's better, but because it will add less resistance to air flow. Larger weep holes because there is more water than I think 'going on'. Plastic because I don't want more maintenance.

I'm fooling with some designs that tie into the rise between the forward cabin top and the main cabin top in an effort to make the things less noticable. We scored on some ABI 3" vents a few years back.

...when do we get some new pics of Little Gull? I'm running out of ideas to steal...come on-give...

Tony,
    Built-in, glassed-on, dorades sounds good!
    One arguement might be that the structures would give you some excelent foot bracing while at the mast.
    You know, instead of those bling stainless tube valets you were thinking of.

Once a hatch, then a seahood (questionable ), next a dorade box? That's the plan anyway. Something solid enough for footing, but, I'll keep the stainless guards/handholds for the dorade vents. Thoses babies are expensive!
    Attached Images        
    Last edited by Tony G; 07-24-2008 at 02:20 PM.

We finally ditched the makeshift ladder I've been climbing up and down for the last howmany years... But I knew we'd have to shave the threshold down a couple of inches to keep that first or last step from being too much of a stretch.
    Attached Images    

The forward hatch is glassed in at last. Just some fairing compound and tons of sanding.
    Attached Images  

Er....
    Tony, doesn't this picture right above us here (264)
    show a bump-up sea hood almost like 338s? It's a hatch garage - correct?
    Mine is also pretty tall and that aesthetic Nag became agitated. But I prevailed!
    "Form follows function, you fool..." Stuff like that.
    Which may be the reason you're cannibalizing yours?

Takes courage to do something over again. Because we were SO sure the first time....

What I've been mulling over though is to use the height of my hood, there is a good argument to convert the forward volume where the hatch doesn't go into a dorade - two 3" cowls positioned near the sides and a single 4"D opening below in the middle. Would guess drainage would be quite efficient with the opening vent on the very top of the coach roof crown.

Buried somewhere in my notes:
    Positive it was a well established designer that came up with the formula and drawings for a dorade that DRAWS IN air - it had to do with cowl size, interior volume, where the baffles are and how restrictive, and the opening to the inside. Some dorades work too passively.
    Access plates and the cowl are big expenses these days. One idea I like is to install access/mounting ring directly over the hole inside - so that the cowl can be moved there for straight through air.

Watch that jig-saw! Beautiful works there Tony ----- keep her going!!
    Last edited by ebb; 07-23-2008 at 04:56 AM.

Somewhere in the piles and piles of boat photos we have an older, beauitful, European built woodie that has a dorade box just like what you're talking about... I think it might have come from the Abeking & Rasmussen site. Anyway, I bought cowls with way too high of a profile. That RBV would act like a bat and send me slack-jawed into the briney to recover the shiney.

Lower profiled cowls would probably work right there and the inclusion of vent protectors might even work as a good attachment point for lines or organizers.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Instead of adding new posts to the thread I've just been using the edit feature to add new pics. Epoxied the new outer skin onto the dorade boxes this morning. Hopefully we will finish the inside layers tomorrow.

Well, too much job and not enough 'work' getting done. If you know what I mean The nice thing...on Sunday the temp was in the 80's and the humidity was in the 70's. Love that mix. Seriously.
    Attached Images      

Got a couple of hours of work done today. Uh-boat work that is, and only after meeting my obligations at the job that pays the bills.

Started laying the foundation for the garage. This includes pitched 'drains' that empty into the cockpit. Placement of sacrificial mmm, 'stuff' for the hood scuppers and shaping the wadda ya callit backwall...

Next we'll make a foam nose cone and add some sexy-smooth taper to the sides of the rails. Then out comes the grinder again. Yee-Haw!! After puttin a groove on the roof top we'll glue everything in place.

We ground a groove around the structure that has a 1/8" to 3/16" deep dish about 1 1/8" wide to accept the bulk of the tabbing. Outside of that groove there is a 1/16" deep by 1 1/8" wide area to take the top layer of cloth and fairing compound. These measurements, while not exact, are depths into the actual FRP not the paint or gel coat.
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tony G; 08-07-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Thumbs up It was a dark and stormy night....

Looking really good Tony!

Would love to have had those cowls in the Bahamas... not to mention the sea hood. Really wish we had one on one dark and stormy night anchored off of Little San Salvador..

This was taken the next moring... we spent the day drying out all our cushions and bedding... everything onboard was so soaked it was like someone had turned on a fire hose below. All of the water had come in one place... the small gap under front of the sliding hatch.
    Last edited by c_amos; 08-04-2008 at 08:01 PM.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Most of the last couple of days has been spent cleaning and painting the inside of lockers. Not much to look at there, just white bilgekote.

Started giving some more thought toward storage and workspace in the \-berth. Can't really call it a v-berth any more because we stole 1/3 of the space, mainly the port side for storage, there by changing the 'V' in v-berth to a '\'

One noticable difference in her appearance is the addition of foam to the sea hood and rails. Hopefully we'll have everything covered with x-matt, 17oz. roving and 7 oz. fabric by mid week. I'd like to get started on the coamings before it starts getting cold. After all, cold weather is grinding season!!

Have no idea why some of these pics are so dark. Maybe Bill could come to Minnesota to do a photo shoot. His shots always seem to turn out flawless!
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Tony G; 08-21-2008 at 03:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread