+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Oops. Reached the five photo max. I guess if I did this more often I'd know about these 'rules'.

We added the port side nuthin' photo.
    Attached Images    

At last, new pics from Tony, and worth the wait! I am absolutely in love with those elegant curvacious corners. Very chic!

Thanks for the update.
    Last edited by mbd; 06-04-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Cool Morc

Ah yes, curves, girls and boats.
    And it is worth the effort. Right?

Aside from the engine room and strange stuff we have to carry for parking - we must to find room downstairs for a kitchen, a parlor, an office and bedrooms. On a Midget Ocean Racer Cruiser.

And we all have it our way, those of us who are rearranging one of the smallest cruising sailboats. We will have very different interiors when done, yet all with the purpose of comfort and beauty and sailing far.

It's a great thing to be doing and a great thing to share.

"And morc to you, sir, morc and morc!"

Tony,

What a super cruising interior! The need for a good place to put the laptop is a real issue now. My used-to-be-icebox turned nav table was less then ideal. I ended up with a few makeshift ideas* that were never really suitable. I really like the working surfaces you have built in, and think you will really enjoy them.

Thanks for the update, look forward to more pictures of your awe inspiring work!

*Cruising with a medium-large dog has it's challenges. In looking for things to prop up a board to put the computer on I did at times utilize the back of my sleeping Lab.... thus creating the 'Lab-top computer'....

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos View Post
    I did at times utilize the back of my sleeping Lab.... thus creating the 'Lab-top computer'....
    Hehe!!

Tony, are you planning to put the sink back in its original location there on top of the counter?
    Mike

Thanks for the compliments, captains. I'll be the first to admit I stole every idea incorporated into Dream Weaver this far and 'we aint done yet!'

Still desperately searching for the best possible work surface/table arrangment. I thought we had found it in Frank's Revival but after changing 113's galley around it won't work there. The nav table refer location is mainly an inn table for the library. not really a ergonomically desirable work station. I'm back to eyeing the main bulkhead again. I seem to remember someone, somewhere storing a table on the overhead in their v-berth. That may be a viable option and if anyone out there has a link to that boat site.......

The sink is going back in pretty much the same spot it came out of just a little higher and a little closer to the centerline and a little farther forward. I think we'll valve the drain though before it ties into the cockpit scupper drain and seacock assembly just for good measure. Hopefully that will still leave enough room for the gimballed kerosene cooker and some outboard storage under the side decks.

Any thoughts, comments or concerns are welcome. Oh yeah, real world advice is greatly appreciated!

Among the many well thought out features, the Albin Vega 27s have a very slick table setup, which includes stowage above the v-berth area. Sorry, no pics here at work, but you can probably find some on Yachtworld...
    Last edited by mbd; 06-05-2008 at 09:56 AM.
    Mike

Hot, humid weather finally!

Found the oportunity to sneak up to the boat again. We took all of the main cabin furniture out and epoxy sealed the backsides, edges and bottoms of it. Then back to the boat where a few final cuts and shaping had to be done. And finally some hot, sticky weather to inaugurate the epoxy in tight spots season! Ahhh. It's officially summer.

Having recently given thought to the electrical system I decided I had to commit to a wiring chase forward from the electrical panel. That included a 3/4" PVC pipe through the main cabin and just through the mainbulkhead. Then we picked up a 1/2" PVC pipe to run through the v-berth area into the chainlocker/peak to handle the wiring run for the forward navigation lights. Of course this would involve hacking my way through the ceiling battens I applied to the hull some time ago.

A good friend left me some of his tools and in that odd collection I found the perfect beast!
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tony G; 01-07-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Along with the wiring chase I made way for the plumbing to run from the head in the v-berth back to the holding tank under the cockpit much like Theis' set-up.

I used short pieces of PVC just large enough in diameter to allow the 'flexable' plumbing to run through the bulkheads and setee dividers. The flexible plumbing will be caulked where it passes through the PVC stubs so the setees will be water tight (in theory).

The edges of the holes were coated with unthickened epoxy first, then the PVC was wrapped in wetted matt and carefully 'twisted' into place. Later, after given a little sanding an epoxy fillet was added to smooth things out.

Being these funiture pieces are not really structural and I wanted to expedite the whole process and save a little epoxy, I hot-glued these little styro wedges in for 'fast fillets'. A quick pass with a 1-1/2" sanding drum chucked in a drill gives a nice smooth form to lay tabbing over.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Tony G; 01-07-2010 at 02:17 PM.

While you're in there, Doc...

We have all this re-sawn ash to use up so I thought as long as I'm waiting I might as well add some ceiling battens to the hull on the starboard side below the cabinets. This time I decided to use some of the 1/8" baltic birth ply lying around to make some curved battens that follow the hull's form.

The curved furniture pieces got a final shaping and are glued in place. Well, on the starboard side at least.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Tony G; 01-22-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Nice work, Maestro...{insert bowing emoticon} Can't wait to see more, and those lovely interior curves - she's gonna be a *beauty*...

The styro fillets - have thought of the same, they make perfect sense for straighter runs, no need to get 'gloppy' if you don't have to!
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Another day, a little closer...I did not shape these syro fillets with the sanding drum before the tabbing went on. I just wanted to see how the glass would take the sharper corners. Being it was a light (6oz.) fabric it flowed from surface to surface just fine in my opinion. If it were a truley structural seam with a heavier tabbing schedule a fillet would certainly be in order to reduce the stress on the bonding fabric.
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tony G; 01-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.

A remodel redo

A few years ago I made a mahogany frame/base for the Bomar forward hatch. And then one day I saw a picture of Periwinkle's forward hatch. Love at first sight...

So this weekend I 'redoned' it. Starting with redesigning the frame to put the hatch's top surface on the same plane as the main cabin's top as it has a slightly different angle than the forward cabin's top. That alone was an improvment. This new one will get a GRP skin giving me the chance to play with the vacuum bagging system again

First shot shows how much the previously enlarged opening will get 're-enlarged'. Then the dirty deed has been done. Next is the wood frame scribed to the interior overhead. Finally some styro has been added which will be sanded into shape and later covered in fiberglass.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Tony G; 01-07-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Tony, NIZE JOB on that hatch install!

and that mottled paint job is tre unique.
    Couple clear coats and you'll definitely have an eye catcher!

I like the "cryptic" subliminal message too. Let us know if it works!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread