+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Water tight and detachable! I gotta see a drawing!

A bunk under the c-pit was seriously considered here. But that would require some serious rebuilding for supporting the cockpit sole, don't you think. Couple with that, as Kurt pointed out, it could be a very wet area.

Quarter berths tucked on one or both sides like Ebb has done are alot easier to accomodate. If we just had another 4-6 feet we could do something on the order of this...
    Attached Images  

Aha! Found it!

Here's the pic of Ebb's under-cockpit quarter berth.

From Ebb's Thread. (Can't get these images to show up for some reason, just the links to them...)

Dang it. I'v gotten used to sleeping on the *port* side, but this berth with Scott G's ex-icebox-lid illumination (see the Association Manual and/or Scott's page ) would make things bright and cheery even on an overcast day. I've an old, huge bronze opening port that I considered mounting in the cockpit footwell sidewall for light and ventilation of the quarterberth foot area, it's something to consider perhaps with a version of Scott's mod, just on the other side. My current idea-ing is to put the icebox below where it currently is, a' la Scirroco...

Tony, that's an awful purty quarterberth and nav station. The compass rose inlay is gorgeous, and salty looking. In fact, everything in that pic is nice...
    Last edited by epiphany; 10-08-2005 at 10:10 AM. Reason: messed up the photos - oops
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Kurt

An opening port would help out a lot for anyone slightly claustrophobic in one of those quarter berths. I'd definately make a cover for the x-icebox hatch lite. Just think of a wine hangover with the sun beating in on your eyes. YEEH!! I just made the room spin

Nothing stellar tonight. I guess I'll just keep making pieces for the puzzle next spring-unless we get some really crazy weather. for which, I'm ready to lay some glass.
    Attached Images  

As things come together some things are working out fine and others...

The ice box/nav station is okay as is the galley. They are pretty much a straight forward installation. Then there was that little bureau on the forward end of the starboard setee. I didn't even plan on that one, it just sort of 'came together' the other day.

The port side setee will have a berth that tucks under the galley giving a desperately needed six and a half foot spot for yours truely. That sill leaves 8+ inches for a water filter and misc. plumbing and 'stuff' storage.

The problem I'm running into now is coming up with storage behind the setee backs and still having enough room for a double berth across the main salon. If I was only addressing sitting room it would be a piece of pie( ) but I need those 3 inches on each side.

I'll have to hit the books over the next few days and try to come up with something. Unless one of you guys has the right idea.
    Attached Images  

Tony,
    Those curves ARE gorgeous, can already tell the interior will be fantastic.
    Yesterday, sitting below, while taking a break from prepping the toerail, pondered the double berth quandry. I have to go for even more length, width as well.

Remember your cushions will raise the level and create width for sleeping.
    Could make the seat backs part of the double bed expansion with the bedding behind on one side (338 will be starboard.) Could make one settee back without vertical partitians - still with the shelf on top - gaining more horizontal area to the hull. Could even pad the hull.

[I've almost convinced self to raise the sleeping levels to the height of the V-berth on 338's starboard side in the saloon!!! Aesthetically dangerous! But I am putting in a two seater dinette with a table that can be hinged up to get it quickly out of the way for the sleep mode. Dinette seats same height as V-berth. Raising up the platform means maximum width for lying down and more precious stowage.

The double would take all of the aisle, of course. In my case there has to be like four square at the companionway to take care of any vertical business. Would sit on the bed with feet down at foot of ladder. Will design ladder that can be pushed under bridge deck. Hopefully the commode between the V-berths is accessable. But privacy and convenience would be better served with a camp commode out in the cockpit when the cabin is double berth. imco

The thing about the quarterberth that Alberg has in the Cape Dory is that it is an enormous volume. I imagine it will be the sail locker on 338 (because I've put the platform low as possible) as the bags can be stood up into the usually unavailable space. Might still have room there to keep daily gear out of the way. The cockpit locker access seems inconvenient for getting sails in and out.]

Press on! Curves ahead!
    Last edited by ebb; 10-09-2005 at 08:25 AM.

What I Did On Starcrest

For Sleep Accomodations I Put A Removable Drop Board Between The Existing Port And Starboard Bunks.that Allowed Me To Sleep Athwartships With My Head Up On Either Tack.the Same Thing Occurred In The Cockpit And This Arraingement Worked Out Fine.there Were Times That I Woke Up In The Middle Of Nowhere And Completely Forgot That I Had Left.

Updates?

Any new pics of your progress? I am just starting my interior renovation and was very inspired by your work so far.

Respite, my foot...

Oh my Gawd!! Nearly a year gone by, already?!

I've been putting WAY too much time into this new store. Think, half the time, and, twice the work. Not twice the income yee...

Well, you know how this works. Excessive work must be balanced with an adequate, yet fair; no, equitable amount of boat stuff. So far I haven't deviated from the original plans so very much. But I will admit, the longer it takes me to finish this wonderful little craft the more toys she gets.

Autopilot. This has been deemed a necessity by some and opulence by others. Yes, there simple alternatives that won't breakdown, shortout, or suck up that precious electrical supply, but, after the first few weeks of working until midnight or three in the morning I figured it was earned and I might as well get one just in case!! Besides, it will tie in with the rest of the electronics we've already purchased.

Stainless steel. Well, I dunno what to say. Maybe it was the new anchor that necesitated a bow roller. The bow roller needed somewhere to sit and there is already plenty of wood to varnish. So why not get a shiney perch for the pair to hang off of? Yah, I'll take a bow pulpit to match. You really have to don't cha?

I put those dorade boxes on and it's kind of a smallish boat and they're in a rather 'busy' spot with all the lines and stuff coming off the mast base so we (purely for saftey's sake, folks) ought to have some guards over them so we don't kick one or 'pop' one off into the drink. Those babies are expensive!!

You have to agree with me, boarding ladders just don't look right hanging over the side midship. Where else can you hide one but to disguise it in the pushpit? Wouldn't work with the one that came with 113 so we'll just have a new one made that is split in the back a little off center to accomodate a flip-up, folding boarding ladder. That way the 'front' and the 'back' of the boat will have the same amount of shinyness.

Hard Dodger. I like them. If you can attach a sun shade and sides while at anchor you've got mui-cabin. I figure to build one properly I'd have to break down and assemble a vacuum bagging system. So to that extent we shopped around and found some vacuum guages, vacuum switches, check valve, solenoid valve, reservoir tank, venturi valve, hand book on vacuum bagging, you know, the usual boat junk. Can't wait to start!!! Outboard shaft plug, winch islands, scuppers...oh yeah, 'just about forgot...the hard dodger

I had once stated that this was going to be my lake home. Since then the fact that life is indeed short has been forced upon me. Why not the Bahamas? Why not Belize? USVI and BVI? Even the Florida Keys are enjoyabe. Eric, Frank, George, Zoltan, what do you think?

Anyway, that's what's news here at the Nude Honky Workshop.

Tony G, in dire need of boat time....

Wow...lots of great ideas !! Thats the fun of redoing a boat...you have 360 degrees of possibilities. You end up with a very personal end result. My thoughts are..."do what ya want..but get it done and go sailing !" The boat is MORE than capable of destinations you mention. The keys are very easy..very close and as tropical as ya can get at home...best part is from there , you are only a day sail to the Bahamas....work your way south from there and you are only a ....... ... ... ... ... !! The only thing stopping you is ...YOU. Have fun.

Tony -

News? Updates? Pics?
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Tony.... hay T o n y... where ar.....

send out a search party boys,
    Tony probably froze half way to the shop.
    Bring im a beer, bring im some antifreeze!
    Spring is on its way!!!

Still here crew. 2006 was all about the new store and things should lighten up shortly. You know me well enough to realize that I never stop thinking boats! I sneak into the office every now and again and drop-in here to see what's new.

2007 will hopfully have #113 ready for water. I'm certainly ready to get back to her, and a year's neglect should be apptly corrected by shiney, new things.

Best wishes to all of you this coming year.

Glad you're OK !! Best of the new year to ya ! I am sure that given time , your ariel will turn out beautiful.....now give yourself a new years present.........TIME

This kinda sucks

I've just gotta get back into boat work to save my soul. So we're starting with 'baby steps' and what better stride than a vacuum bagger? Mind you, I haven't even thrown the switch on this thing yet but it should work. I mean, it's not my brain child. All I did was copy one of Colin Cox's system found on his web site www.buildinggalene.com.

Anyway, Ebb once asked to see my vacuum bagging system and it didn't even exist at that time. So just to keep things right we assembled one. It's venturi operated, controled by a vacuum switch and a solenoid valve.

First on deck are new rails for a sea hood. Yah. The original design I toiled on for countless hours is not going to make the cut. More looking and research and Ebb has driven me to a higher standard. Redesigned side deck scuppers, winch islands and of course the hard dodger and bulworks. But here's the new idea...I call it Inspira'd la C Pete! I'm thinking self-draining, insulated, molded into the cockpit seat DRINK HOLDERS!!
    Attached Images  

wow over kill. I haven't done that much, but I havent run into a situation where the vacuum needed to be regulated, the leaks in the bag kept is from crushing the core in my past foam projects and if the vacuum did exceed your Comfort range for the material your working with poke the bag, and most of the mechanical pumps are rated 100% duty cycle.

That all said, great system.
    #97 "Absum!"

+ Reply to Thread