+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Cool beans Tony - I cannot wait to see your finished boat! But I gotta say, after seeing that sign on your workshop wall, I'm sure glad nobody has any shots of you working!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Wink

Icebox! in northern Minn., isn't that redundant ?

Looks great !

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Tell me something......

How come you Ariel guys don't like the icebox?

Being able to reach a cold beverage while you're sitting in the cockpit.

Genius

This one likes it just fine! Nice idea.
    Mike

Cool!

Can you give us a shot of your vacuum bag system?

Thanks guys.

The sign was a b-day present from my friend that is a 'big-time' high end, anal retentive, finish carpenter. He likes to make fun of me because I always(used to) refer to Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop. This guy has a wood shop I'd gladly live in. Counter space gallor, every tool you'd need, doubles of most of 'em, TV and stereo mounted in a dust-free cabinet, blah, blah, blah...But he still has to go outside to pee. So I chuckle at him, with my little hole in the dirt shop, because I'm one up on him. I've got running water-every time we get a good rain

Frighteningly redundant! Current weather: Highs in the sixties, lows approaching thirties. Epoxy: Stiff!

Pete,

The easy access cockpit available ice box is no more on 113. Sorry, but I'd just end up falling overboard.

As promised, an action shot!
    Attached Images  

I think this is just about the entire arsenal minus a few big clamps.
    Attached Images  

Things are starting to slow down here as far as 'boat work' goes. Of course, everything else is picking up.

I had a couple hours on Sunday to lay out some lines and cut a little wood. Things are starting to take shape.
    Attached Images  

It's gonna be NICE!

Unhappy Ugly fact of the day

This is no stretch of the truth. Friday of last week it was 82 degrees here. This morning, snow and a high in the upper thirties. Boatwork season outside is pretty much over for me this year. Oh sure, we can still cut and shape a few things, but epoxy and glue work is done. Just last night I had to use a heat lamp over the radius jig to help the glue set.

Bummer.....

Sounds like you need heat in that well-used workshop of yours!

No snow yet here, but the boat is scheduled to be hauled on the 17th.

Tony, I had an idea looking at your picture - how about an aft berth tucked up underneath your cockpit? Look at all that room in there! Then you could use some of the v-berth space for an enclosed head.

PS. BTW, this can't be said enough: VERY slick work!
    Mike

Thumbs up

Tony...obviously a 'labour of love'...lookin REAL GOOD !!! Keep the faith..and throw another stick in the stove.

Tony,

epoxy I use is good down to 40, no blush.
    one or two of those cube catalytic heaters
    pointed into the ends of the boat
    with the fans going will get it
    like summer inside the boat for setting the resin.
    Progressive can probably set you up with
    some stuff that'll set up in Anarctica.

338 is gonna have curves too,
    but nothing as grand as what you have!
    WOW, kudos to your designer!
    you're gonna beat me back to the water, RIGHT?
    Last edited by ebb; 10-06-2005 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbd
    Tony, I had an idea looking at your picture - how about an aft berth tucked up underneath your cockpit? Look at all that room in there! Then you could use some of the v-berth space for an enclosed head.
    I've been thinking the same thing. I'm glad I've lived aboard for a while before doing any major work in the cabin. My design is evolving.

I know what I want to do in the v-berth (guest bunk on one side, cabinet/drawer stowage on the other), and the settees (somewhat). The back wall area of the cabin is what I've been pondering for the past couple weeks. What I do there will to some degree determine what the final arrangement of the settee area will be. A quarter berth tucked up under the cockpit (basically extending the current berth ~2' aft) makes a lot of sense - it puts a usually empty, but needed, area more into the stern of the boat, would provide a flat floor to the cockpit locker above, and will be a safer place to be bunked in stormy conditions, especially if, heaven forbid, repeated knockdowns or a complete capsize were to happen.

I did consider using that area right under the cockpit floor, but I think it would be too hard to keep dry, especially being right under the companionway. As I write, this thought comes to mind: if done properly this area could be made1) watertight and 2) detachable, thus being able act like a liferaft if the boat started to go down. Kind of a James Bond liferaft. Maybe whoever has Ariel #007 could do this. Know of any sources for explosive bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by mbd
    PS. BTW, this can't be said enough: VERY slick work!
    For sure! Kudos!!!
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

+ Reply to Thread