+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

After nearly a week away from working on the boat I'm starting to fear I may not finish her in time for launch next spring

Here's a mod job by one of the previous owners. While moving the backstay chainplate to the outside of the transom was a great move the knee adaptation left a little to be desired.

If you can see it on this archival photo, the modification consisted of sistering two pieces of 3/4" oak to the original knee, wrapping it with a piece of fiberglass( pasted right over the paint), then drilling four holes betweenthe sister and the original knee but only using the bottom three holes for attachment.
    Attached Images  

That just wouldn't do...

I dug around and found a 1 1/2" X 2 1/4" piece of white oak that should work just fine. It was coated with epoxy and fitted, along with some styro fillets, into the lazarette. I also added some transverse stringers back here for strength.
    Attached Images  

And while we were in the neighborhood I thought we'd remove the old mainsheet block pads. This way, when we get to installing the traveller we won't have to do any custom scribbing and cutting. I mean-come on-who's got time for that!
    Attached Images  

Tony, she'll be a one of a kind when you'r done with her! And by the way, those are some fine looking scuppers, I must say!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Now you're cooking.

I think she's ready for sea

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...et/4203594.stm

..at least get his windows filled in....

Thanks Cpete, for that!
    The Brits still seem to suffer fools and eccentrics more gladly than anybody. Over here the guy would have ended up in the slammer and sent the bill for the chopper rescue. Except the USCG would not have considered it a life threatening situation and left him adrift. One thing to think about though is that hole in the landscape they call Lulworth that the guy, I guess, hailed from, he shudda left there long ago!
    Last edited by ebb; 09-12-2005 at 05:59 AM.

Okay then, sans ports

I couldn't wait a day longer. We're running out of good weather here for epoxy and painting weather is all but gone. So I had to tackle that pesky deck/hull seam once and for all.

I seem to remember what a PIA it was to grind it out and now I know for sure it is a PIA to glass! I looked back to C Pete's thread when he did it and every other post regarding the topic. I decided to just go with 4" biaxial covered with 7oz. 6" tape and skip my initial plans to completely fill the cavity below the molded toe rail.

Here's what it looked like minutes before I started. Everything in waxed paper and layed out in order. cooler close at hand filled with cold packs to keep the epoxy from going off too soon.
    Attached Images  

Three years and one afternoon later...
    Attached Images  

Good. Now that nasty job is done I don't need these setees hangin' around anymore.
    Attached Images  

I don't think I posted anything on the sea hood in a while.

Here's a 'dry run' with the new hatch to check for clearance. The dash board needs a little sealant to hide the outer seam and the display heads will add a touch of realism also.

Maybe I should have taped the covers up there for the picture?
    Attached Images  

Tony.
    Like that pull on the slider!

Hull/deck seam
    A L L
    at one time??
    Holy Mackerel

Had a tough day working. Every hour or so I had to run outside to see what was flying overhead. The local air museum is having a WWII exhibit. B-17, P-51, Corsair (love that plane) and I think the Zero even took to the skies. Wow!

Way back when I joked about shag carpet and curves. Well, the shag might not happen. I thought I'd try to make our own plywood today. What the heck, if you're going to make plywood you might as well make radiused plywood, huh?

We knew we'd need a 24" chunk and at least a 33-36" piece too. So I thought I'd make a jig that would pull a double duty. It forms a 2 1/4" radius (in theory, that is) by pulling 1/8" plys into the jig using pipe clamps and heavy walled 4" PVC. The 24" piece is setting up now as I type. Maybe tomorrow we can slow down enough to get an action shot.

24" mode...
    Attached Images  

Holey cats my shop is getting filthy. I need a day just for cleaning!!!

Here's a shot of 'Le jigue' in 36" modus. I hope to try this setting out tomorrow.
    Attached Images  

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Doing some excellent quality work there Tony.

What's the plan with them jigs?

This is supposed to be the last B-29 still flying

I ain't much of a cameraman
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 09-22-2005 at 09:25 PM.

Hot Doughnuts!

..aint much of a cameraman!?! Why Pete, I've been very fond of a number of the photos you've posted deck hardware and nav aids to name a couple.

We're pretty lucky to have the Fargo Air Museum close by. It's not a big facility by any means but the owner/curator has a heck of a collection. Including a super corsair, one of eight remaining and the only one flying in the world.

Anyway, this is a sailboat site...

We're going to use the curved sections in the galley. The shorter piece will form the inboard corner of the ice box. That's right, I said ice box. Well, ice box/navstation/com. center. The longer of the two will form the inboard corner of the galley proper. Those two rounded corners should save alot of shin skin.

After seeing the radius I with I could find some teak veneer fast. I'd really shoot the wad on the main cabin. But as it is, it'll probably be painted white to open things up a bit. Maybe we'll put raised panels in the 'salon' to add a touch civility.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread