+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

After nearly a week away from working on the boat I'm starting to fear I may not finish her in time for launch next spring

Here's a mod job by one of the previous owners. While moving the backstay chainplate to the outside of the transom was a great move the knee adaptation left a little to be desired.

If you can see it on this archival photo, the modification consisted of sistering two pieces of 3/4" oak to the original knee, wrapping it with a piece of fiberglass( pasted right over the paint), then drilling four holes betweenthe sister and the original knee but only using the bottom three holes for attachment.
    Attached Images  

That just wouldn't do...

I dug around and found a 1 1/2" X 2 1/4" piece of white oak that should work just fine. It was coated with epoxy and fitted, along with some styro fillets, into the lazarette. I also added some transverse stringers back here for strength.
    Attached Images  

And while we were in the neighborhood I thought we'd remove the old mainsheet block pads. This way, when we get to installing the traveller we won't have to do any custom scribbing and cutting. I mean-come on-who's got time for that!
    Attached Images  

Tony, she'll be a one of a kind when you'r done with her! And by the way, those are some fine looking scuppers, I must say!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Now you're cooking.

I think she's ready for sea

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...et/4203594.stm

..at least get his windows filled in....

Thanks Cpete, for that!
    The Brits still seem to suffer fools and eccentrics more gladly than anybody. Over here the guy would have ended up in the slammer and sent the bill for the chopper rescue. Except the USCG would not have considered it a life threatening situation and left him adrift. One thing to think about though is that hole in the landscape they call Lulworth that the guy, I guess, hailed from, he shudda left there long ago!
    Last edited by ebb; 09-12-2005 at 05:59 AM.

Okay then, sans ports

I couldn't wait a day longer. We're running out of good weather here for epoxy and painting weather is all but gone. So I had to tackle that pesky deck/hull seam once and for all.

I seem to remember what a PIA it was to grind it out and now I know for sure it is a PIA to glass! I looked back to C Pete's thread when he did it and every other post regarding the topic. I decided to just go with 4" biaxial covered with 7oz. 6" tape and skip my initial plans to completely fill the cavity below the molded toe rail.

Here's what it looked like minutes before I started. Everything in waxed paper and layed out in order. cooler close at hand filled with cold packs to keep the epoxy from going off too soon.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread