+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

The quart of PVA (releasing agent) finally showed up. I guess I'd better get started on the ports soon enough or we'll run out of summer. I've been going through the 'plan' over and over and I won't really know what happens until I'm in it up to my arm pits.

But first I had to fill a couple of other holes and tackle the chainplate areas.
    Attached Images  

...here's one cleaned out...
    Attached Images  

With the chainplate wrapped in plastic and ready for some epoxy...
    Attached Images  

Yeah, I admit it. Sometimes I go a little overboard on this boat stuff. Like the other day I got a great deal on this 350# danforth.
    Attached Images  

Pva? L'Oreal yes, Aquanet no

Tonio,
    For a release agent on top of wax you might try AquaNet Superhold from yer local drug store. Whatzat you say, Mike?

WARNING
    Tony, if you do decide to use hair spray, do NOT use Aquanet.
    I was preparing a couple female molds (new hatch slide rails) and the Aquanet did not dry. So I went to find an expert. I found a pert youg lady at Longs who agreed the A. stayed sticky on her hair too. She suggested I try L'Oreal Studioline Fast Forwrd Quick Dry Strong Hold. Yup.

What it did was mist on the work very easily as it mists in a very fine cloud - rather than spray. No droplets. Seemed to be a real plus getting an even coat even down inside. It covered the sticky stuff and dried. 3 coats. I just popped the pieces out of the molds. Worked like a charm. Side benifit was the garage had this nice feminine scent to it. Kind of made you stand up a little straighter and suck in your stomach.

My new rails look real sexy!
    How those frames coming?
    Last edited by ebb; 06-24-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Ebb,

Thanks for the heads up on the hair spray. The PVA worked less than beautiful . When we fire up the vaccuum table we'll try the L'Oreal.

The port frames are molded in! Because there'll be some grinding to do on them and other parts of the boat, I'm doing a bunch of different little jobs that will result in grinding so I's can do all of the grinding at one time. Ick...

Just finished prepping the forward hatch. You know, I can glue wood all day long, but when it comes to cutting it I get nervous and worry that I'm going to ruin it. I need boat therapy soon........
    Attached Images    

Excellent work on the hatch! Rounded corners, whoa, now ya talking! Nice hatch too. The cast aluminum Bomar's 338 ended up with weigh a ton.

As to "popping" finished pieces out of a female mold OR off a male mold, here, for what its worth, is a couple observations.

I use a blue colored specific mold wax. The color helps in spreading it evenly around, which I do with my hands. Put it on, let it dry briefly, buff it up. Do it again. I do three times, then it gets old. I think next time I'm gonna wax and buff at least six times to be certain of complete release.

Made sure the molds were designed to release the completed lam. But getting the pieces started was difficult, Any corners holds the piece real tight, so, have to get one side started for the mold to let go. Everything may seem loose but will stay stuck! On my male mold (the hutch) I did not wax enough and/or hair spray enough (I had made the mistake of using AquaNet, also) and ended up deconstructing the goddam mold from the inside. Bad. Real bad.

I'm using epoxy for this polyester type work. {Believe it's argueable that polyester shrinks a little because of solvents thereby aiding in removal - while 100% solids epoxy doesn't] Gel coat is probably the real secret for successful female molding. My epoxy gel coat is slightly thickened laminating epoxy with universal white color added. I could not get it thick enough because I wanted to do the whole piece at once. Thick first coat just got squeezed out where ever I pushed and poked the xmatt into the mold. Maybe there's a way to get three color coat layers on by getting them to go off but not go hard while the cloth is going in. That would be too organized! But I'm a coward, and therefor the pieces will have to be finished when in place on the boat.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-05-2005 at 10:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread