+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Another four consecutive hours of work. Something big could happen here.
    Attached Images  

Nice work there Tony,
    What was the issue with the deck that led you to take all the gelcoat off. Did you have to recore?

Absolutely the worst job is grinding the inside of the hull, looks like you did a heroic job. Only a damn fool would do it, just plain nuts!

Somebody should invent a handy sandblaster like a wand that would spit out the media and vacuum it up at the same time. Have some different tips, but you'd wave it over hull and the paint would dissappear. With an adjustment you could remove paint from ply with it. You'd still wear a mask but the air wouldn't be dirty, nor the rest of the surfaces in the boat. Sigh
    Last edited by ebb; 06-04-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Blasting Paint

If you want to just remove paint , use corn meal as the blast media , for decades we have used that in restoration of motorcycles and cars . It is hard enough to take off paint and leave a beautiful surface .

Ebb,

The decks were gray which I thought would get too warm. Also, they were coated, rather haphazzardly I might add, with a rubberized paint. Add to that the fact that we had to do some cosmetic work on those ugliest of side deck scuppers and it just, plain and simple, had to come off. A long arduous job I hope no one else has to do again. But on the lighter side, it was then I discovered that one of the POs had allready done a recore job on 113. Wow! I'm off the hook!

So..well, you know how it goes. I have to fill in the scupper cut-outs and make some new ones farther back on the side decks where the water actually pools. And then I thought about frameless ports in the main cabin, dorade vents, a sea hood, an instrument dashboard, new sliding hatch, dropboards, winch pads, a new toe-rail, a new rub-rail, an anchor locker, thru-hulls and seacocks, MSD and holding tank, water tank, alot to do with the spars, oh yeah-we gotta modify the outboard well for a four stroke, etc.. That says nothing to the fact of all the canvas work and all of the interior work yet to be done.

Now, none of this should be a problem because I've finally secured a slip next year. So I guess we have an official deadline to meet. Whew! I was begining to think this job would never end. To think it all started with a 'sail away' boat with a little rot in the bottom of a bulkhead.

Sir, I need a machine that goes around vacuuming up behind me constantly! No matter what I'm doing I'm making more dust and dirt. It seems I can't even sit on my boat a drink a beer without making a slight mess.

I'm bewildered and tired, but grinning.

Motor well

A 6hp 4 stroke fits fine as is and is all the power you need and only weighs 55lbs , a 9.9 is 115 or more . The sump on the 8's & 9.9's gets in the way .
    Just got my Nissan 6 back from servicing

Mike,

Maybe I'm just whimping out with my advancing age, but, I'd like both electric start and an alternator on the outboard. Lighter weight sure would be nice. If there was a company out there that sold good, cheap, quality made (pick any two) after market pieces that one could slap on a 6HP we'd be all over that.

horses and media

Mike,
    Like 'true grit' as a vegetarian option for sand as the media! Might there be a chance for whirled peas too? Coarse salt? Walnut shells?

It'll be a two bag unit, one for the maize, the other for the vacuumed stuff. The Hog Feed Dustless Paint Removal System. It's gonna wait tho, I'm NEVER going to grind another hull again, inside or out!!! EVER. No, I mean NEVER!

Interesting the difference in weight 2 horses make. Tony, you point out the 8 and 10 have electric tilt. And an alternater. As I recall the literature on my 8/4, it is a high thrust set up with the exhaust directed out the prop for forward and reverse. When I 'researched' the net it was clear that 8s, 10s and 15s are up and down every river and estuary, bay and harbor in the world pushing fish boats and barges, on the back end of anything that floats - probably without scheduled maintenance and fresh water flush. How can anybody afford $3000 for an 8? They cost that Here, now!

Forward into the breech
    Last edited by ebb; 06-05-2005 at 07:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread