Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Happy Solstice

About this not getting in business... from a computer challenged stooge. There was a time
    when it happened to me fairly regularly, like maybe 2 - 3 times a year. I would each time
    get a holt of Bill, and he would generate a new passcode for me, one of those up/down
    case number jobs. Can't post if not a member.

I now have to name and passcode every time I open this site. I do it with the last crazy
    code Bill emailed years ago, and because I must sign in every day, I've memorized it.
    It seems to be part of every day's start up of the computer. I understand the ritual is
    necessary to discourage hackers. So I do it.
    I'm locked out until I go up to the little window on this page, type in my 'name'...move the
    cursor over to the code bar and type in the scramble code.
    Do get a welcome each time so it's worth it!

Tony, I spent. off and on, a huge amount of time trying to figure out how to incorporate
    the hull slanted sides into the cabin sole. If we try to put in "even" strips of teak and holly,
    like we see in Geoff's cabin, it's not possible, is it? Not possible without some crazy build-up
    on top of the original sole to bring it up even. The Aussies grow some strange wood down
    there, so we don't even know what a carpenter is capable of doing! I don't like to see bilge
    paint there, next to the wood -- see it in nearly every photo of a small sailboat. Even the
    dolled up ones. Did try full sized doorskin models... couldn't find how they did it without
    extensive filling or creating areas for rot to happen.

BUT EBB FOUND THE ANSWER ! ....Might be too bassboat for you...
    Teak and holly carpet.
    No longer have a symmetrical floor plan. The carpet people require full size patterns.*
    Expensive, as usual, but not crazy. So, have a complete rug for the sole and it's bloody
    wings. Had another piece made for under the 'new' cabin table (covers the hull insulation).
    And a piece for what's left of the V-berth area, in front of the 'disguised' head, on the step
    up. *They supplied a common plastic pattern-making material. But I opted for stiff white
    cardboard, to mime the thickness and lay of the carpet, because it wanted it to fit tight.
    Press fit. Help keep it in place on dark and stormy nights.

In place, the carpet softens the bilge/sole transition, it disappears. The very obvious stripes
    stay all lined up and it looks SO-O good! Looking from the c'way forward, the stripes
    diminish in perspective, very satisfactory!!** Many plusses... and soft under barefoot to boot.
    Can't remember the carpet material, but it must have passed some stringent rules I have.
    EG: Sand and water HAS to fall out of the material. **Showing how crazy I really am, the
    carpet maker and I had to exchange pattern tubes, to make sure the cabin teak pattern
    lined up perfectly with the piece in the V-berth. And it does.

The carpets obviously can be removed when necessary. And obviously can be stored away
    when not appropriate. They are heavily backed with a non-skid plastic/rubber. Haven't put
    them in yet. But they definitely are uber marine. Sewn bound on all edges (had my choice
    of sunbrella-type fabric.). They follow every in and out of my patterns. Also had a 'leftover'
    made up as a topper at the ladder bottom to take the brunt of constant wear.

It's also a very pleasant dark beige/tan imitation of teak color, with narrow white stripes.
    The 'teak' has a 'grain' if you look for it. I think I fell for the clever humor, and got excellent
    craftsmanship as a bonus. Really beautifully made. Probably too much dollar.... but I have
    them now, and the $$$ pain has almost drifted away. My kind of imitation teak!!!
    Last edited by ebb; 12-18-2015 at 02:37 PM.