Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Lightbulb Engel Lid

Replacement HINGES AVAILABLE.
    The two lid hinges on the 27 are ALREADY 'take-apart' because one leaf attaches to the box and its one leaf buddy attaches to the lid.
    The pin is loose in one and attacht to the other. They are handed left and right so the lid is not removable. Engel has the pintel leafs screwed to the lid.
    A couple of gudgeons & pintels.
    Assume that similar hinges are available for the 35.
    Called up ENGEL in Florida (1-561-743-7419) and Nancy set me up with a spare set.
    Will change-out the hinges and make both left/left so when the lid is lifted just a bit the lid will shift left and come free.
    Of course the hinges can be reattached so the lid slides off right.

Thing is, this alteration isn't a one way street - can always go back to what it was.

Could just reverse 180 one of the hinges,
    but having anextra set, they can be swapped around so that both pintel leafs attach to the box,
    The lid can have the gudgeons and be right or left side removable. How easy is that?
    Can't be the first fool that has wanted to do something like this - Engel makes it too easy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________
    later EDIT: Hinge arrives. Assumed I paid for a pair, but only one in the pkg. One was enough!
    Took 6 minutes to change-out and turn around leafs. Leafs are interchangable. This fridge will be mounted athwartship under the counter, in front of and next to the batteries which are under the cockpit. Looking down on plan view it would show the fridge under the bridgedeck.
    Facing the cockpit the lid will open on the left side - when lifted will slide forward. Not sure what final access there will be directly thru the top.
    BUT the lid has to be tilted up barely two inches to slide off the pins which are on the case. And slid back home the catch snaps the lid down for an original tight seal.
    yessireebob!
    Last edited by ebb; 11-15-2011 at 11:47 AM.