+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Pretty impressive prep work there!
    How many of us know what a rotton job it is,
    and how much you got to love that boat.
    Has any Ariel/Commander been this nude inside
    since Pearson put them together?

Greg, punch in 'cabin liner' on the SEARCH button to read up on discussions historical.

It would take a lot of troweling and fairing to get something close to the liner's original finish. It would have to be fair for any added fabric/foam headliner to look good. If you wanted a wood strip roof. I would first consider taking just the part of the molded liner off that would be replaced.

Jim Baldwin's method of rebuilding his windows used the coach sides and the liner separation (1/4 to 3/8" space) filled with epoxy gel. This must add considerable rigidity to the sides and the installation. I'm just about to do a version of this myself. Baldwin then floated in lexan and used the original aluminum frames as clamps by thru bolting. He's circumnavigated his Triton twice. To me this is a perfect upgrade, adding a lot of strength to the windows and the coach sides - without having to add clunky framing inside and out.

The dead air space between the two moldings must add insulation.
    Any thru-holes will have to be done in the predrill oversize, fill, and drill again method to make sure no water gets in between. And, ofcourse this method creates standoffs so that when you tighten a fastening you won't distort the liner.

Liners have permanent distortions in them now, but after yon fill and sand the upgrades I think I would finish off with a light colored satin paint, so the wobbles won't show. If one was really pickey judicious drill and fill might be used to straighten the liner! But who's that nuts?

Proposed nutcake liner fairing method:

[I'ld drill a hole where the liner had to be pushed out or drawn in. I'ld use a panhead screw to mechanically and temporarily push or pull the liner. I'd drill another hole close by, probably larger, and squirt in gel using the big two ounce syringe. When set, and glued, back out the adjusting screw. I'ld do this from outside. After the liner was set, fill in all the other holes with the syringe I'ld have a bunch of these fills to do at the same time. The liner would become rock solid.]
    Last edited by ebb; 09-12-2003 at 10:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread