Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Golly, is that locomotive rilly an Alberg?
    Maybe a Pittsburg or a Hamburg....

Aha!
    Found a reference and some ideas in John Roberts' "Optimize Your Cruising Sailboat.
    Under a chapter called Bulwarks he says he first saw the idea in Hal Roth's book "After 50,000 Miles"
    where Roth welded bronze plates to his bronze stanchions and bolted on 1X4 teak planks.

Roberts describes and illustrates a method where you use "stanchion wrap plates" (pipe 'U' clips)
    that go around the tubes and flange out for fastenings to attach the planks.
    But imco you need a number of stanchions to make a fair bend in the bulwark plank.
    Otherwise there'll be straight lengths of plank and single stanchions under a lot of pressure. Would bother me.

Bulwarks as add-ons is described in Daniel Spurr's "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat, 2nd edition" with a
    masterful illustration by Bruce Bingham. Pg 197. "Newfound Metals, Port Townsend makes cast end fittings and deck brackets* for 3 5/16" boards."
    But there may not be allowance for our 1 1/2" tall toe. Cast bronze heavy and $$$.
    Bingham also draws a right-on alternate bracket to fabricate out of 3/16" stainless, that obviously can be customed to whatever board height.
    This is an above the molded toerail bulwark, allowing "opening for passage for breast or spring docking lines."
    He shows the jib track on the deck by the bulwark. And draws lifeline stanchions that are independant of the bulwark system.

* I don't see them online.
    Last edited by ebb; 03-18-2012 at 01:17 PM.