Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Here's a few photos of the toe-rail idea I've been tossing around. The styro model isn't complete as I ran out of time last weekend. Even though I get the idea and see it whole in my mind, I will finish the entire run asap.

It has evolved from the original plan of a 2 1/2" tall by 1" wide mahogany toe-rail we cut several years ago. After seeing Ebb's installation it became very clear that there had to be a way to clear away any shipped water held on deck by the higher toe-rails. Ebb has some very classic looking scuppers added to Lil'Gull, and I was ready to start sawzalling my molded toe-rails but chickened out. Then this idea came wandering by.

I can still use the rails we already cut by simply pegging and gluing pre-shaped risers to the bottom edge. Because of the limited contact area between the factory toe-rail and the wooden addition, it may be necessary to steam them. Hurdle one. Then there is the issue of the chainplates. That one isn't so difficult as longer chainplates (external) can reach to nearly the top edge of the toe-rail as they will be shaped outward around the rub-rail before bending in again and heading up (middle CPs) or slightly inward (fore and aft lower CPs).

So far the most difficult task is how to handle the jib sheet tracks. I had intended to bolt them to the top of the toe-rails, but, I don't know if this higher set up could handle the stresses.

Here's what it looks like. Open for suggestions. Comments.
    Attached Images        
    My home has a keel.