+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

A remodel redo

A few years ago I made a mahogany frame/base for the Bomar forward hatch. And then one day I saw a picture of Periwinkle's forward hatch. Love at first sight...

So this weekend I 'redoned' it. Starting with redesigning the frame to put the hatch's top surface on the same plane as the main cabin's top as it has a slightly different angle than the forward cabin's top. That alone was an improvment. This new one will get a GRP skin giving me the chance to play with the vacuum bagging system again

First shot shows how much the previously enlarged opening will get 're-enlarged'. Then the dirty deed has been done. Next is the wood frame scribed to the interior overhead. Finally some styro has been added which will be sanded into shape and later covered in fiberglass.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Tony G; 01-07-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Tony, NIZE JOB on that hatch install!

and that mottled paint job is tre unique.
    Couple clear coats and you'll definitely have an eye catcher!

I like the "cryptic" subliminal message too. Let us know if it works!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Tony

great interior!.. your forward hatch install is cool. will the birch ply on the interior be finished bright (while the exterior is GRP)??

cheers,
    bill@ariel231

Ebb, I'm pretty sure this is the longest on going paint job in A/C history

The sign didn't work, Mike. Found myself drinking dark & stormys at the end of the day.

Thanks, Bill. The inside will be painted white. We have been toying with the idea of ash strips on the overhead to hide the p.o.'s plywood remod. We're far from done though, and as this thread demonstrates, things change!

Well, here's something I was not planning on doing today-or ever for that matter. But the grinder made a lot of noise going over it and sounding it with a screw driver confirmed it (sounded like a bongo). It will be solid when we're done. Bummer. That's another 3 or 4 days of work added on to the heap.

On the up-side, I did get to break out the vacuum bagger. And for anyone out there wondering, taffeta does work as a peel-ply for the poor man. Fortunately for me my mother is a top-notch seamstress and I now understand that taffeta is a fabric and not a food item. Woa!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony G; 10-23-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Capt T.
    Looks like you got some breatheing ports into the foreward stateroom going there ?? What kind of cowls will you use? Dorades maybe?

Keep up the good works!

+ Reply to Thread