+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Didn't know moles went to sea.

Fast forward one year...ex-chainplate knee...heh-heh-heh...
    Attached Images  

I like this one because it gives me a sense of accomplishment. New larger settee openings and some added in the v-berth and I think you can see the enlarged chainlocker opening for added comfort working on the stem. doesn't matter though, it's all coming out and being repalced! I'm thinking green shag
    Attached Images  

Gad Mon! yer SERIOUS about this thing. Welcome to the 'how am I going to fit it all in' club!

Perhaps the most disagreeable thing about the remodel was grinding off the paint. It was messey, dusty, dirty, acrid, had glass particles everywhere. How did you manage?

...Makes these boats look almost spacious inside!

Serious as a secretary! Spacious as a pea-pod! I'm wondering how I'm going to get everything in around the main hatch where I can stand up-right without hitting my head! For me, the whole trick was 30-40 degree temperatures. (uh-that's Fairenheight NOT Celcius, Geoff) I can't afford one of those forced air respirators so my goggles fog-up as soon as I start to exhert myself if it starts getting warmer. Natural indicator of when it's starting to become more work than fun!
    I can only squeeze in about two hours in the mornings somewhere in the 6:30 to 8:30 slot so I can get ready for work on time. The usual garb...tyvek cover alls, gloves, mandatory bandana, cartridge respirator, goggles(vent holes taped), and hearing protectors. my neighbor doesn't know what I'm doing but is afraid to come over when he sees the bandana
    At the end of each 'session' I document the days activities in a log. The same log I keep track of expenses in
    Attached Images  

Tony,
    Try putting a box fan across the forward hatch and the main hatch , one blowing in and one blowing out, or both blowing out if the side windows are out. I have 2 30" fans for boat work and they sure help in moving the air. I got them at the Dollar Store for $10 ea.

moles at sea?

you arie guys have TONS of room! i'm the guy who lived on a commander, remember? i need to raise the sole in the triton about a foot just so i will feel at home!

actually, one thing i had always planned to do was to build the quarterberths up higher to actually gain some stowage and to put them at a standard chair height of around 18-12 inches, so i did not have to feel like i was eating/sitting/whatever at the child's table on thanksgiving at gramma's, as well as to gain a bunch of stowage area. don't know about the ariel, but commander quarteberths are nearly wide enough for two. had also planned on making something more like 22 or 24 inches with a backrest (enclosed) to give more room for stowage again. definitely need to do that on the triton, with mary and jess along i will need all that extra space just for TP! if only i could guarantee availability of the correct product in mexico/south pac., i would be installing a ticket dispenser instead. anybody remember the tickets? they double as 320 grit paper, too!

tony, whatcha gonna do with dat sink?
    ebb, remember how much i've always loved you!

best,
    dave

Dave
    If the sink passes inspection it goes back in. This time with a foot pump instead of a hand pump. The whole galley is going to get raised 7-8" so I can work standing up. My big question is what am I going to do with those drains? Mat and glass or seacocks, mat and glass or seacocks, mat and glass or sea cocks...

...I should have added this one...
    Attached Images  

Wow! Lookit that stepped ogee on yer cockpit brace. Looks like a regular piece of furniture. Seriously, it's amazing how that piece of 3/4" jigsaw made the cockpit deck so much stiffer.

When I started this project on 338 I was an inch taller. My DNA is already mutating, I'm sure, so that when launching day comes I'll be 4'6" - perfect for an Ariel, both below and on deck. Actually I'm convinced that being fitted with telescoping prosthesis, like twist and lock boathooks, would better serve the human stowage problem.

Thanks Capt. Mike. Starboard side quarter berth seems natural. Why the kitchen has to be port side, I read once, had to do with an Englishman's lunch being always prepared on the starboard tack. Is this true? Tradition!

The 25D must have wider buttocks than the Ariel. Yesterday I marked in a line on the hull interior under the stbd locker two inches higher than the berth in the cabin. This 'waterline' reaches only about 3/5s of the way aft towards the rising stern. A foam matress will raise it and increase that length, but for me the space left would be claustrophobic. [The 25D seems to have more width AND more heigth as the bridge deck instead of having the nice curve that the Ariel has is straight and higher inside - it looks that way in a photo from the internet.] I'll be able to get legs up to my knees in there.

The 25D also raised that quarter berth looks like 4 to 6 inches under the cockpit, and it extends out into the cabin in way of the bridge. No comparison to the Ariel. The Ariel is more like a tern than a duck! What with matress and bedding there really won't be much room in an Ariel quarter berth! The locker room under would still be a flat, pointy triangular volume, with difficult access, and hardly suited even to a tank.

With all the quarter berth space the Commander has, I was fantasizing a stretch Ariel like the stretch limos you see here in the wine country. You know, like maybe 36'7" long?? Look like hell, but just think of the party you could have!!! Eveybody crawlingf around... but with enuf beer and martinis....noone would be feeling the lumps on their heads!

Hooray for cool, dry air! At last. Bulkheads? What bulkheads? We don't have no stinking bulkheads. Man oh man Ebb, I can see why you left your's in place. Even with that what appeared to be serious rot these things don't just fall out. I removed 5-6" of the v-berth on each side and the sole just forward of the main bulkhead in preparation and to allow for grinding room. then I cut through the tabbing for and aft and gave it a good shove. Then another. Then more grinding. Another shove followed by a "nudge" with my foot. All to no avail. Because I prefer to cut things out instead of tear I gave my cuts another inspection. I could see light coming from the other side along nearly 75% of the tabbing but it wouldn't swing more than 2" back and forth. Then I noticed a little bit of tabbing that had lifted off of the 3/4" plywood so I began peeling along the length of the seam top to bottom and viola! She broke free. I sat for nearly a half hour just googling ove all of the room and potential. More to come...
    Attached Images  

Tony,
    Looks like yer ready to drop her in! Spacious look of a Hunter. Like the workaday placement of tools for that natural DIY effect!
    Haven't found one of those yellow drop lights myself...Was in some sort of auto shop when I first saw it, the guys there would literally toss it on the floor and retrieve it by its cord!

What Dave said bout gaining stowage by raising the V-berths - Baldwin did it in his Triton - For me there is barely enough sitting headroom as it is! Add 4" foam...and b a m m m. So how much height would you add?

Just to be difficult, I've being talking with an Airhead guy about fitting one of his 20" tall composters in where the Portosmello goes in the Ariel. I started the exchange out by suggesting they design one more like the size of a normal wethead. He said they've just begun working on it. And I wasn't the first whiner. I like the idea so much I may get a tall one (they're 300% overpriced) in a weak moment and may have to raise the berths so the filler piece can swing over the toilet for the 'double,' The seat can be detatched from the unit to get a negative gain of two inches. There'll only be sitting under the hatch. BUT, it is an elegant way to have no stinking seacocks & thruhulls. No hoses, and no holding tank! S h e e e s h ... what else do you want from a head?

But while I do the structural changes I also try to imagine what the berths in the cabin would look like if they were RAISED! Talk about not being able to sit. Even with the bertths low as they are, I, for one, can't sit unless I take my head off. Can't see the interior now without somesort of dinette, a two seater, or even a one seater. Serious. Might as well raise the cabin berths to gain stowage, no?

Right, didn't quite have the cojones to take the whole bulkhead out as you did! What a relief to open her up like that! Almost indecent! Be interesting to see what you finish up with. Onward.....
    Last edited by ebb; 09-04-2003 at 08:45 PM.

Ebb
    What goes back in won't be that much different from the original set-up. Just updating the old gal for the next fourty years. Raising the setees would give a little more storage but at the cost of too much head room lost. I too have to sit facing fore or aft in order to keep from pinning my chin to my chest. We're hoping to just organize the interior stowage and utilize the space better. I'm even toying with lowering the cabin sole an inch or so just to get a wee bit more head room. Of course then we'll have to walk a tight rope. No, I'm afraid there won't be anything too radical happening here, just a few curves and new curtains and such. This one won't get to be a world cruiser, just a weekend cabin somewhere in Minnesota. Then again we have several customers that used to sail the Bahamas when they were Floridians and they highly recomend I do the same

Main bulkhead mast support

An unsupported (in the middle) xompression beam can be a little un settling to look at, I guess. Someone has said that a single compression post was great to grab and swing yourself around with, in or out of the V-berth area. So you could keep it wide with that fine laminated beam you have, supported at the ends, and use a curtain for privacy, rather than that tiny opening the originals have.

I've just removed the 1/4" teak ply in small jagged pieces from the sole. It was tough as nails and stuck down with a mean rubber mastic. In some places we pulled the glass cloth coating off the the 3/4" stuff underneath. But instead of the mystery space between the teak sole and the hull sides, now we can see that the sole is glassed in in the usual way to the hull, and it'll be a piece of cake to cut the plywood out. IMCO it would be easy to lower it.

Intend to take it out, clean out the last of the original remaining paint from the bilge, glass in lateral supports in the form of frp bulkheads or floors, and reclose it at about the same height thereby creating an extra tank. For rum. Or gin. A very stiff bilge tank. Whats keeping me in check at the moment are decent waterproof cleanout hatches at a realistic price. Each bay needs access
    Certainly top it off with some sort of wood deck.

Will you go like this? It certainly is a great place for a water or waste tank!
    Last edited by ebb; 09-05-2003 at 11:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread