Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Nope! I aint got none of them factory jobbies.

There is a thread here all about the factory through deck scuppers discussing them, their placement and trying to determine what hull number they started adding them. (I offered 113 for the ugliest scupper installation and won it) I saw that David Browne added some on his Bristol 29, Sally B., which are a lot like the A/C factory deck scuppers. I had thought about duplicating his, but that is another hole pretty close to the waterline and I there's just something inside me that stops me from drilling holes in the boat that low. Though, it does look like an ellegant solution to the situation. I was just hoping that the shape of the rub rail would be enough to send the water away from the hull.

Way, way back when, I cut the toe rail and rub rail from a couple of giant mahogany planks we scored from the local hardwood supplier. Those babies were like 17" wide, 5/4 and 14 plus feet long! The styro models are just that, models. I am considering redoing them in white oak and covering them with fabric and epoxy. Bright wood rails would be bolted on in a thick layer of adhesive like, you guessed it, 3M's 5200. The glassed on alterntive would get bedded in thickened epoxy. I would still bolt them to the hull through epoxy lined holes. Probably with silicon bronze carridge bolts. I would even go so far as teporarily mounting the stainless half-round before covering it with fabric so those holes could get drilled oversized and filled with thickened epoxy trying to completely isolate that rubrail. All of this adds up to a whole bunch of microballoons and sanding....crap.
    Last edited by Tony G; 03-19-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    My home has a keel.