+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G
    I'm leaning toward butyl as a sealant and then run a bead of whilte 101 around the opening to hide the black.
    You should be able to find white butyl. I got some at Ace Hardware for something like 2.50 a tube. I used 4 tubes, I think, on Dasein's 4 deadlights, 6 ports, and a couple of odd plastic fittings.
    Nathan
    Dasein, Triton 668
    www.dasein668.com

Nathan,

Thanks for the heads up at Ace. I love my neighborhood Ace store. While they may not be a true chandlery, it is the only place around here to find 5200 or a decent assortment of stainless fasteners.

Mike,

Well, the vacuum pump was a complete wash...We applied the K.I.S.S. principle and it worked just fine. It was like sand casting, sort of, and upside down.

I taped the mold with packing tape, being the PVA turned out to be a PIA, then stapled the matt in place to keep it from sliding out of place. The matt was heavily wetted and a layer of FG fabric was worked down over the top. Cover the mess with lightweight plastic wrap and pack it six inches of sand.

After about four hours I dug it out and put some filler on the back and added some styro pieces for build up and waited another hour or two. When it got to a real tacky state, I wetted out some more matt and covered the back again. By night fall it was ready to come off the mold.

Here's what the cat coughed up...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony G; 08-30-2005 at 07:00 AM.

Here's the top side. You can see the lines from the tape. Of course it still needs sanding and some filleting and fairing on the 'pretty' side. The bottom will get some more reinforcing.
    Attached Images  

After nearly a week away from working on the boat I'm starting to fear I may not finish her in time for launch next spring

Here's a mod job by one of the previous owners. While moving the backstay chainplate to the outside of the transom was a great move the knee adaptation left a little to be desired.

If you can see it on this archival photo, the modification consisted of sistering two pieces of 3/4" oak to the original knee, wrapping it with a piece of fiberglass( pasted right over the paint), then drilling four holes betweenthe sister and the original knee but only using the bottom three holes for attachment.
    Attached Images  

That just wouldn't do...

I dug around and found a 1 1/2" X 2 1/4" piece of white oak that should work just fine. It was coated with epoxy and fitted, along with some styro fillets, into the lazarette. I also added some transverse stringers back here for strength.
    Attached Images  

And while we were in the neighborhood I thought we'd remove the old mainsheet block pads. This way, when we get to installing the traveller we won't have to do any custom scribbing and cutting. I mean-come on-who's got time for that!
    Attached Images  

Tony, she'll be a one of a kind when you'r done with her! And by the way, those are some fine looking scuppers, I must say!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

+ Reply to Thread