Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

tubing bender

Search motorcycle (HarleyDavidson, eg) sites and forums.

check this out as a lead in.
    google> Hand Tube Bender Manual (MS-13-43, R2)
    It's a manual bender that they say can handle 3/4" to 1 1/4" tube. Swagelok
    No idea what they want for the tool. Maybe it can be rented. Maybe a more advanced model can be rented???

The simplicity of this tool makes me think even I could use it.
    But bending 1" by hand will require hiring a 300# biker.

Considering the tube choices:
    1" X .065 (.66#ft) / 1" X .046 (.50#ft) / 7/8" X .065 (.57#ft) / 7/8" X .046 (.44#ft)*. - this is the usual stuff used for bending and is commonly available in welded 304 for about $5 a foot. Anything else costs too much.

Amazing isn't it: a foot long piece of 1/16" thick 1" tube weighs in at three quarters of a pound! The thinner alternative, 3/64" wall, is half a pound a foot.

Custom pulpits and pushpits are astronomically priced at local marine fabrication shops. Was impressed by Geoff's extended pushpit, still am, but could never afford it.

But I'll wager you can't find one sailor who has actually bent tube for his pulpit.
    All the help net nuts (boat design forum, woodenboat, ehow, etc) are cross threaded.

I did find, but lost it, a site where a guy had complete plans for a stand-up bender that used a bottle jack capable of doing smaller radius that can't be done by hand.
    There is a bit of science to bending tube.** A bit more to planning the job. And some extra expense if the design calls for welding by an expert.

Did find a memorable piece of advice where filling the pipe with wax was recommended before any serious bending to keep the tube from collapsing. He suggested icing just before the work began. Filling the tube with sand is often mentioned - but sand is sand - you'd have to solder caps on the ends with sand. Worth experimenting with the wax idea, melt it out when done. (what kind of wax???)
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    *Pretty easy to see how weight adds up even for tube.
    **Harbor Freight is a source for cheap pipe roll benders. Don't know if buffed stainless can survive a crude pipebender.
    Last edited by ebb; 09-28-2009 at 08:00 AM.