+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Mike, if the aft head would have somehow fit I was definately planning on adding some cubbies under the v-berth/setee forward lounge area. If the ideas had only come before the seahood and rails got added... Maybe another Ariel in the future being we sold the Ensign.

Kurt, I'll set one aside for you. As soon as you stop by and drink it I'll set another and another and another....well, you get the picture.
    My home has a keel.

Then there's the fold-up sink. I always thought this was a very clever and ingenious space-saving idea. Doesn't have to be in the head either, you know...

Hey, you asked for pics!
    Attached Images  
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

That's right, Mike. We'll take photos of any boat.

Finally got to spend a day at the shop. All of this is still less than one 4 x 8 sheet of 1/4" and a ton, well, maybe not quite a ton, but a whole lot lighter than what I tore out this spring.

Gotta sand off some of that nice white bilgekote for the locker(s) drain tubes and make a clear spot for tabbing. The water tank goes in next, I believe. Then chain well divider followed by v-berth deck. I think...

I think she's ready for water!
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Tony G; 07-22-2010 at 06:12 AM.
    My home has a keel.

Dang Tony

You are moving right along with putting her back together again. What you're doing looks great. Very impressive.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Thanks, Jerry. I'm sweating bullets trying to get back on track being I wiped out one years work on her. I've been trying to swing like a five day deal of just boat work, but it somehow backfired and now I'm the only one at the store today?!?

One thing I can say is 1/4" baltic birch is plenty strong for what I'm doing. The water tank will have 1/2" fore and aft bulkheads. But after the baffles get tabbed in I'd bet you could do it with 1/4" material no problem.
    My home has a keel.

Good on ya, Tony

Keep on it.
    If you are making built-in water tanks where you will use epoxy and glass to line the tank...
    I would consider using plain fiberglass sheet for the baffles - no wood, even if covered.

You can make up flat sheet by laying out cloth on MYLAR film.
    Douse it with epoxy, squeegy it with as many layers of cloth you want
    then place another piece of mylar film on top.
    Then a piece of flat plywood with some weight on top of it.
    Wait til you see what you get!!! Wonderful!

Small tanks with a surge baffle supported on all sides can be fairly thin imco, like maybe 1/8".
    That's what I put in mine. Have fun gluing in the top with the baffle(s) in place!
    If you plan on coating the inside with a potable-water epoxy, that thin baffle will fatten up and be amazingly stiff.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-21-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Ebb, do you mean 1/8" thick baffles or 1/8" thick walls?

I have planned to use 1/2" for the fore and aft bulkheads because if you're pounding to weather or just up onto the beach I figured most of the stresses introduced by the force of the water sloshing in the tank would be in the forward direction. But I have read some claims by individuals that a couple of layers of fabric on 1/4" ply is all you need.

The NSF paint!!! Something that is more expensive than epoxy!
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread