+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

The (take it in the) short(s) list...

Does anyone remember how this all started? I found a little bit of rot at the base of the main bulkhead. Okay, in reality I could peel the plys apart with a phillips screwdriver and not much effort. So just like 10 years ago, one single event precipitates a whole sequence of events, or, changes in this case.

Without turning a blind eye to what I've known for some time, this is what I feel has to happen.
    1) Raise the remains of the v-berth to both widen the sleeping platform and increase storage. Then add a filler piece, which will make using the head an exorcise if using the v-berth for, I dunno, sleeping.
    2)Excise the plastic water tank. I never tested it for leaks, it's all my water eggs in one basket, has no baffles. Make 2 smaller integral water tanks and still have room left over for storage.
    3)The platform reserved for the head needs to be lowered just incase I have a windfall and get a composter. But incase not, build an integral or 'fits like a glove' holding tank.
    4)Re-reconstruct the starboard storage in the main salon to allow my feet to fit under the cabinets with a mattress underneath when sleeping athwartships. This one really hurts but I think the louvered doors will work up front in the v-berth after the changes come about.

Those are the wrinkles that I feel absolutely need to be addressed. But it is not inconcievable that something in the main cabin and galley area might need attention too. Like sub-sole storage to name one. Well, what's another 10gallons of epoxy among friends. Right?
    Last edited by Tony G; 05-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Tony

I truly feel your pain. I spent 20 hours working on C147 this weekend and the longer I worked the more I decided I wanted to do. If we allow them to these things can literally go on for ever. But I enjoy sailing more than I enjoy working on my boat so I'm starting to take the approch of "I will do this much this year and then when I pull her at the end of the sailing season I will do these things".

I don't know what your sailing plans are after the refit but I had the same issue with the head under the v-birth because my wife and I are getting older and find that the head is more frequently needed in the middle of the night for both of us. I mostly daysail but two weeks a year I go on 1-week long mini-cruises. so I decided to simplify and solve the problem by doing away with the marine head and using a porta potty under the v-birth during the day and pull it out into the cabin during the night. Less plumbing and less things that can go wrong while at the same time solving the problem for us. But we also tend to spend at least every other night in a marina so we can get a good shower and hot meal before we head out for two more days.

I can't say I can offer any suggestions for number two on your list but my resolution to number one also takes care of number 3 on your list and possibly number 4.

You are the only one that can determine what is right for you. So of course this is offered only as something to think about. And as a good friend of mine likes to say "Your mileage may vary" :-)

Sail on _/)~~~_/)~~~
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread