+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Nicely done!

Tony,
    Must feel so good to get the workspace transformed into a working space.

I'm envious. There is nothing better than an organized workshop with all tools, floor tools especially, close to hand. Close to the boat.
    Of course now you won't have any excuses!

In the 'old' days when I ran the shop on this estate.... there is now an upgraded, upscaled, nose in the air, shoparoony here you won't believe. I don't go in there much to work any more.

.....but in those days I had a shopvac that was a 55gal cardboard drum on wheels with a big motor on top and a few custom lengths of hose. I'd take it to the tablesaw when needed, wherever. It had an out hose (that slowed the suction on the other side a lot) that I could lead the exhaust, which had dust in it, outside. This was before HEPA filters. What it had was capacity. A single job with a jointer, planer, tablesaw can choke the small vac. Emptying a vac is a universally hated task, so capacity stretched those episodes. It helped make a dust controlled (vs dust free) shop. Rigid Vacs arer OK and affordable, I don't know thieir micro dust collecting capabilities, but you have a problem in an enclosed space.
    I'm one that hates wearing filters.

The old ebb shop had one wall cabinet that was constructed to be dust free. It is still there, acrylic doors, magnetic catches and foam weather stripping. In those days it housed the music system. Nowadays you can tune in a source from the computer that plays your exact taste without messing with dvds. So its use in a normal shop can be for cups, utensils, the computer, whatever wants NO dust. Water boiler, Coffee maker, snacks? The cupboard was installed right at the entrance to the shop - less dust collected there.

However the greatest asset a well run shop can have is its "moaning chair".
    The term comes from wood boat days, I think the Atkins, father and son, stole the term from one of their customers. It's a place to sit and contemplate the project, what you are going to leave and what you have to rip out!
    You take a break, relax with a pal, have lunch, a beer, or a fresh cup of coffee and plan the next step. And it's near the heater.

Hope you've got good ventilation!
    ONWARD!!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    Tony and Jerry are refering to aliphatic glue being used in a boat.
    Yellow glues get cautioned in laminations because they (or actually the wood) can creep in a moist environment.
    How to fix or immobilize something like a laminated beam is a problem.
    Prebent laminations where you prebend the pieces in a stack before gluing is what we should do.
    My epoxy laminate oak beam in A338 was put together under tension. Not smart on many levels, invented a system I thought would work and it didn't - and I also wasn't going to rip it out!!!
    It is smarter to use a glue that likes pressure, like aliphatic glues. My choice in the Franklin glues is TiteBond III, which is sold as water resistant/ water proof.
    Before installing my mast beam I should have bolted it together, thru the cured and shaped piece.
    In theory, we can stop creep by doweling. Drilling perpendicular 1/2" holes vertically thru the piece and knocking in 1/2 dowels of the same material the beam is glued up with. The perpendicular dowels will be at different angles with each other spaced along the arch. This imco creates a pretty good lock, and the laminations theorectically won't move. But wood moves anyway. So anything that can happen will happen. Poor Ebb had to bolt his thru the cabin deck with bronze. Rediculous in a way! Now, in theory, the beam is encapsulated with epoxy sealer, paint, etc. to keep moisture at bay.
    But I'll always wish I did it right in the first place. 'It's all in how you go from one mistake to your next mistake.'
    Last edited by ebb; 10-23-2011 at 08:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread