+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Glad to hear you're getting back into the swing of things. It's guys like you who inspire guys like me. Feel free to start posting pics too, cause you know we love 'em!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

There is some really beautiful and inspiring work being done by a lot of other captains out there. Though I haven't posted much lately I have been watching and waiting. I have been focusing my energy on a new job and moving (and consequently, down sizing) again. This last week we were caught up enough that in a 'spur of the moment' I put in for a couple of days off. I knew that staging would be ncessary sooner or later and the oportunity presented itself via odd sized pallets in the warehouse. You know what they say,"One man's trash is another man's treasure." So we have staging now. Crude looking but suprisingly stable. I added a layer of cardboard to brige the gaps in the decking. Its hard to believe but a single layer of cardboard adds a little security under foot too.

This shop that once seemed as large as a dance hall is filling in fast. It's getting hard to spot the 30 foot long, bright white tailer in some of these photos!
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Tony G; 10-22-2011 at 08:40 PM.
    My home has a keel.

During the cold winter months I had to build, and/or rebuild, a couple of tools.

Because of space restrictions we needed to move the table saw to the side of the outfeed table if we were going to cut any stock over six foot long. My old saw stand, while sufficient in the old shop, didn't lend itself well to moving from one position to another. So we had to build a new table saw stand. I still need to finish the stand with some paint and hooks to hold blades and throat plates on the slide outs.
    Attached Images    
    My home has a keel.

The outfeed table didn't fit through the door of my old shop so we cut the legs off! So they had to be reattached. That was a rebuild. Also because of space constraints, more than a foot had to be cut off of the length. I just added plastic around the bottom this weekend in an effort to keep vast amounts of saw dust from settling on the tools stored under the work top.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Tony G; 10-22-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    My home has a keel.

Until the mahogany rails and rub-rails go on the boat there is a need to store the 14'-6" lengths somewhere, somehow. So I decided to make an extra long miter saw table with storage below it. The fences are removable, and, the whole thing separates into two 24" x 72" tables and the 24" spanner that the saw is mounted to. It seemed like a good spot for a router insert as well being most pieces I shape are either lengthy or else small enough to fit on a 24" wide table. There is a separate fence for the router.
    Attached Images        
    My home has a keel.

I never would have thought of doing this mod, but, I saw a picture of someone else's project that used a stock craftsman tablesaw stand and I just happened to have one lying about. Besides, the drill press comes with a dangerously small bed. The block under the drill bit can be lifted out and replaced when it gets too chewed up. Or you can put in a custom block if you have chucked a sanding drum.

Instead of "T" track I used 3/4" x 1/2" channel to add a fence and/or hold downs.
    Attached Images  
    My home has a keel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    There is some really beautiful and inspiring work being done by a lot of other captains out there....
    And you're tops among them! LOVE toe rail and the staging - you even used it for the ladder!!! Hang in there Tony, crystal blue water and white sands await...

Glad you're posting progress again.
    Last edited by mbd; 10-23-2011 at 05:19 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Hang in there Tony, crystal blue water and white sands await...

Glad you're posting progress again.
    Thanks, Mike. It's the thoughts of blue water and white sands that keep me moving. I like pelicans too. I always know I'm on vacation when a see a pelican giving me that, "Damned yankee", look.

Mike M., you are only a few hours away! I could use your input and experience! I know I wanted to head your way this past summer but, work being work, I ended up..working. Next year will be much smoother sailing for me. The guy we rent this space fom rescinded his "no flame" policy for my unit just because the electric heater takes so long to heat the space. So we're going to add a LPG unit to quick heat the air and rely on the electric to maintain the temperature. My only concern is we sealed the space too well so a CO2 alarm will be mandatory.

Jerry, Thanks for the real world input. I'd like to believe this boat would never go under the knife again in my lifetime. Wether its now or later, removing the mast beam will be a major project. The mast beam is epoxied to the cabin top and epoxied and screwed to the main bukhead. The support beams are epoxied to the mast beam and epoxied and screwed to the main bulkhead. Removing it is going to result in a lot of 'collateral damage'. That is why I would do a drastic deviation from the current layout if I had to remove it.

A shop thread would be cool! Actually, a method and jig page would be a HUGE time saver for me. A good deal of time is spent sitting there, brow scrunched, staring off into the distance saying, "How the #&!! am I going to do that?!"

Ebb, You are right. This space does need an area to just sit and converse or take five. I'm always running against the clock trying to get things done in the little slice of time I've been allowed. Ventilation, no. Resperators, yes. I know, I know. This is big problem we run into starting about this time of the year when we habitually start closing doors and windows. My old shop(s) were so leaky I couldn't keep the snow or water out! So I've been thinking about adding a canvas based, bellows-like contraption to the walk through door that will allow for ar exchange without significant heat lose. I have thought about a shop-vac dust collector that exhausts outside and would passively pull fresh air in through some sort of heat exchanger or recapturing thingamagig. If a guy could just find the right demolition site where they're thowing away copper base board radiators. I could see a route of parallel pipes against the ceiling bringing fesh air in... I dunno. Hopefully we're a few weeksaway from that.
    My home has a keel.

Nice work shop Tony. Looks like you've created just the environment you need the get your Ariel finished.

I'm with Jerry on the the Titebond 2 question. Since A-113 isn't a submarine and immersion in boiling water unlikely, I think you have nothing to worry about. In the old days they used casein glue, from cows milk, to put together structural wooden parts from sailboat masts to aircraft, the de Havilland Mosquito. Titebond 2 has got to be way stronger and more durable than those old casein glues.

+ Reply to Thread