+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Mike I just knew that you could contribute a photo (or two or three, hint, hint) here. So far I see two spots for a fold-up counter that will add some work space. I used to dream of a big galley table a few folks could sit around swapping stories and ideas while eating a good meal. But these are small boats. A folding cockpit table would be great though!

Ebb, you might recognize that basket from the Scott Sprague cutter listing you brought us from yachtworld. Lots and lots of beautiful stuff there. Like all of the room I thought we had. What I wish for is Little Gull's masterfully planned and finely executed interior, but I've learned to accept that my brain pan don't work that way.

Talkin' trash with Jerry! Laura and Charlie Jones did a real nice install on their boat Tehani. They used a squared pail that was tucked into the galley cabinetry under a step. Easy to get to but otherwise out of sight. I don't think it would be easy to reach from the cockpit though. so how about a sneak peek at your idea?

There used to be roughly 50,000 photos of the Bristol Channel Cutter galley with fold-up counters but this is the only one I can find now. But here's a Falmouth Cutter galley too. Following Mike's suggestion of looking at 22 footers for ideas that could realistically fit in our hulls.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Tony G; 07-14-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    My home has a keel.

Tony

I really like that fold up table that crosses from one side to the other. I think I'm going to use that idea on Destiny, thanks for posting that picture.

As far as the trash idea I was simply thinking of a fold up bracket that would be mounted to the inside of the bulkhead at the aft end of the cabin just inside the companionway. During the day this bracket would hold a plastic trash bag that you could easily toss things into from the cockpit. At the end of the day the trash bag is removed the bracket folded down and out of the way.

I was also thinking about your bin behind the galley sink idea and it occured to me that you could make the bin removeable and build a upper cabinet right above where it goes to store the bin when not in use. Then under the bin area you could have your trash container. The trash would stay there even when the bin is dropped in place for use. Just tossing out ideas. :-)
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

A "For Sale" Ariel a while back had its trash in a cockpit locker, and a hole through one of the aft bulkheads to access it from the cabin...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I remember that one, Mike. If I recall correctly they also put the batteries under a setee. That one also spawned a rather heated and opinionated discussion over 'rebuild' vs. 'remodel'.

I never expected everyone to like what I've done, I just wanted to know if I've done something really stupid or potentially dangerous!

Free beer for the first one to post photos or a link to said boat!!!
    My home has a keel.

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    A "For Sale" Ariel a while back had its trash in a cockpit locker, and a hole through one of the aft bulkheads to access it from the cabin...

That's ex-"Che", now "Mariah", Tim D's Ariel. The one where Adam (when she was "Che") put the hard dodger on her.

I had considered putting the batteries under the aft-most part of the v-berth berths, but instead now have them on the cabin sole, just aft the bulkhead opening. A box over them makes a nifty step-up spot that aids getting in and out of my raised v-berth, and there is also the benefit of their weight being closer to the boats CG.

Gimmee beer!
    Last edited by CapnK; 07-12-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Free beer. ;)
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

+ Reply to Thread