Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Hey, Tony..... I expect it was a gorgeous day all over the nation, while I was up and down the ladder framing in support for the stunted V berth - maybe they're forward settees since the 'V' is now the anchor locker (where the watertank used to be.) evreybody else was out sailing.

A settee is a berth too short to sleep on.

I'm putting in cleats (ie wood supports) under the ply top. To provide continuity for the compression beam load and forward to provide support for the new end of the ply. The bulkhead under the V is not tabbed or attached to the hull. It was plunked in place with some blue sanded polygoop mostly because it doesn't fit too well. I'm putting in 'cleats' along the hull and up the front. There is a filler piece in this frame ( under the compression beam verticals that end on the settee) taking the compression load to the hull. In theory.

There will be two new tanks custom made for the V-berth settees. THerefor the cleats there will not be radiused and tabbed to the hull to allow the poplyethylene tanks to fit snug. I'll radius and tab the other sides. The anchor and chain well will be over built. The anchor well is accessed from the deck thru a 19x19 Bomar cast/lexan hatch.

Below there will be an 'escape' access hatch thru the new bulkhead which will be watertight (anchorwell drain?) more or less conforming to the ORC "15% abaft the forward perpendicular" for such a bulkhead, Actually, right there at the end of the foredeck it's about 20%.

I really hated the old furniture and the dark plastic bulkhead. It's wonderful that it's gone. Fairing the turrett area with 410 and my local noblush epoxy while not easy was very satisfying. And photogenic Hope Bill and Gene come back with the recharged camera.

Tony, I'm interested as to why you want to put batteries in the bilge (under the cabin sole) Perhaps we should go back to an earlier thread to thrash that one out, I'm still persuaded. Has anyone a cautionary tale about the water rising over the cabin sole on their boat?

Hey, Brent, if yer here - how about some pics of your cockpit sole/ battery installation?

Tabernacles, (another thread?) Have to tilt forward, tho I came across a site where the guy lowered to his aft coachroof (which was I believe taller than the Ariel's) where he had another fitting with a pivot pin that had to be inserted to continue the lowering aft. I have never lowered any mast. But the idea is to lower it with the boom as the outrigger down to rest in the pulpit in a roller there. Then you'ld have to pull the pin at the step and with some help haul the thing aft. It would sure be over ballanced over the pulpit. A cruiser would have to lower forward given all the gear on the coachroof. Ariel would have to have a tall european style tabernacle higher than the coach roof and whatever else is on top and IMCO a 'gallows' fitting on the pushpit to receive the spar. There probably are some clever no-big-deal rigs on sailboats who have to lower their masts to berth in the inner marina down in Santa Cruz. Bet they all lower forward using the boom

The are numerous sites with numerous methods for lowering. You need a clever guy system for lateral control using your uppershrouds that keeps the triangulation taut as you lower or raise the mast. The latest one I read about had rings on the shrouds exactly level with the tabernacle pin. The lower part of the shroud is then stablized. But I have no idea how to rig it IMCO it has to be simple and accomplished singlehanded. YUP
    Last edited by ebb; 08-28-2002 at 06:59 AM.