Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Resp-O-Rater

From the Penn State Industries catalog, I quote:
    "Ideal for wood dust! This patented product uses a snorkel-like mouthpiece for breathing. One size fits all and avoids the "beard problem." Air is filtered from the rear with a .3 micron filter media and is exhausted downward from your face and avoids fogging glasses or goggles, The air tubes sit comfortably on your shoulders, are light weight and are positioned to the rear to breathe fresh air. A nose clip is included to avoid breathing dust ladened air. Includes filters."

What the photo shows is a guy chomping down on a yellow mouth piece, a tube angled straight down on his chin and the air intake tubes going back at his jaw line ending in a bugle shape that must be the filter. He is wearing goggles way up on the top of his nose, about as far away from a respirator as you can imagine. I wear a front valved 3M dust mask usually that goes over mouth and nose plus glasses and goggles. Always fogged up even when I purposefully breath in thru the nose and blow out thru the mouth.

Imagine there's nothing like a fullface mask with airflow down the face from an airpump somewhere out in the clean air. Or there is a slightly cheaper one where you wear the pump and filter on the waist. Hundreds. This new thing might be a decent compromise at $45, filters $8, mouthpieces $4. Might get some agression out on the pacifyer effect of the mouthpiece and implant a sunny image of diving one day on a bahamian reef in warm crystal clear waters. Grindon mcduff!
    Last edited by ebb; 09-05-2003 at 07:18 PM.