Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

We had some unseasonably warm weather here the last two days and being I had today off it was a must to at least get out to the shop for a couple of hours. Made a couple of new models to see how things fit and get a feel for them in 3D. trying out a new variation on the toerail and it's growing on me. It is another inch taller than the original "design" (to use the term loosely) giving a more pleasing look and a bit more safety.

Lately I have been trying to find a design for a new mast head. There doesn't seem to be one out there that will drop into the top of our extrusion that isn't just a cast replacement. So I'll conceed to having one welded that can be bolted in place. That will open up some options. Any way I cut it, it looks as though we will end up shortening the fore and back stays a couple of inches. I knew we would have to put a new end on the forestay to install the profurl so it's no big deal to do the backstay too. Then I thought we could raise the upper shroud tang attachment point about 3.5" being the chainplates are going to be about that much higher. That puts the stays and shrouds up at the top of the mast for more stability.

The one question have is will 6061 T6511 be dissimilar enough from 6061 T6 to cause corrosion issues? I don't want to have the fitting welded to the top of the mast. Transporting the mast would be a pain and I don't think I really want to pay the welder to come to me. That seems like an unnecessary expense at the premium they charge. Any ideas out there? Chime in, please.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Tony G; 03-11-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    My home has a keel.