+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Captains, I am selfish in that I will not incorporate an enclosed head that does not give me some room. Not that we're planning on having a soiree in there. It's just one of those 'things' I like to do unimpeded. I understand the concept of close quarters and hand and foot holds so you're not flopping about, but, that is one thing I've decided to be totally selfish and maybe a smidgen unpractical about when it comes to a boat this size. That is why it just seems 'right' for me to leave the head where it is drawn. Besides now I can seriously look at a composter

Water intrusion is a major consideration for me when it comes to the 'hatch in the hood'. At first I was thinking about leaky seals. But if that was the case then I'd also have a biger problem up front . And the thought of water working it's way back around the hood and hatch, over coming the rail drains which flow into the cockpit would probably mean we're in some pretty heavy stuff. Although it is of major importance to keep dry and comfortable onboard, I accept that it is a small boat, and furthermore, a boat so I must expect some water below in the worst of it.

As it turns out the main hatch would only have to be about 1/4 to 1/3 closed to get full ventilation out of the Bomar. Even with partial blockage by the slider, I'm confident that air would find it's way around. I think it would really only be wise to open that hatch when anchored. Maybe slightly opened if we were drifting along

And the curvey furniture....it's going as it exists currently. But that is going to give me the chance to improve on it! Oh yeah, you can't have a u-shped galley without curves. The forward ports were in relatively tough shape. Especially for a freshwater boat. I had thought about replacing them until I saw the prices. WOW!!!! I'm absolutely fine without them. I think the Ariels have a nice enough nose to not need them.
    Last edited by Tony G; 01-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    My home has a keel.

soft-side head

Tony, we just don't have the beam of even a Flicker!

Suggestions, you know me, always suggestions.....
    Suppose you did have the head where you show the cardboard model.
    But instead of hard sides you had soft sides. We've got super Nylon zippers now
    - you could have a zip open door in a CANVAS enclosure.

Knees could poke into the sides until the body is settled
    - maybe it could be large enough to turn around in.
    Could have a second set of zippers that will unzip the whole enclosure and gather it at the side.

A head doesn't get that much use, but it could be made to zip into a private space without too much fuss.
    Test it out with cloth model. And it could be made larger because it is temporary. Permanently temporary.

There are many extraordinary fabrics these days there would be something for the job. I like the tan of the cardboard.
    It could be a relatively heavy material so that it holds shape without wrinkles or folds. R, why not Sunbrella?
    By the same token, more room can be found over where the portside cupboards used to be at the main bulkhead.
    Might even have a fold down sink there. But it could be the same fabric enclosure that would be gathered out of the way for open space.
    The problem really is that the deck gets in the way of the head. The human head.
    The loo would be under a cushion so the function wouldn't be noticed right off.

There would always be the option when using the throne to zip up the canvas cabin - or not.
    Last edited by ebb; 05-21-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Ran up to the boat today after work. I'm really starting to jones for putting some time in on her. A couple of years ago one of the 'guys' pulled the boat and trailer ahead about ten feet. It didn't matter to me at that time because I had enough of the furniture in that I could use those pieces as a benchmark or references as needed. But being we're rearranging things below I thought it would be a good idea to level her according to the scribed waterlines again. Simply used a floor jack, some cinder blocks, assorted pieces of varying thickness of hardwood and plywood and 50' of 5/8" clear vinyl tubing. I didn't bother taking photos because it just wasn't that exciting. But I will say I am happy to have that not-so-laborious yet time consuming task out of the way.
    My home has a keel.

I lopped out the starboard corner head a while back, partly due to the same concerns Mister Tonygee cites; the hard walls I was using were just too much structure for so little (in use as well as in size) space...

So I bounced the head idea around a while. Put it back up front in the middle for the longest time. Then one day, when I was ripping out the sink and looking at all that space under the companionway, a Thought occurred. All that space there, and when we use the loo, we usually sit anyway...

Lately I've been experimenting with a composting head. I have nearly all the stuff needed to mount a 'traditional' wet head, and was aiming that way, but thought that just for the sake of completeness, if nothing else, I should try the composting head thing... People speak so highly of it, and all...

Well, I "invented" a ~$10 version of those phancy shmancy $1,000 heads (using a 5 gal bucket, an odd-shaped funnel, and a plastic coffee can), and have been using it for about 3 weeks now, and I can attest to the facts of why people like them so much. There really is no odor, none appreciable, other than that of peat moss, and then only if you take the time to try and notice it. And I don't have a fancy fan and tube ventilator, either... Tho' the boat does stay pretty much open 24/7...

And I've been keeping it there under the companionway, in a makeshift, temporary, 'try-b4-u-buy' construct meant to simulate a fold-up water cabinet idea I've been totin' around in me noggin.

This weekend, I took the plunge and cut out the sole platform at the base, thereby recessing the 'posting head bilgeward, so that the top of it sits less than 12" above what is the floor under most of y'alls sinks. I am imagining a curtain that wraps around it to be used as both a privacy- and shower-screen.

It's working out fairly well. I'll play with it a bit more, see what strikes as most practical, then post some photos for y'all who might be interested.

Also, (hijack warning! ) I got my external chainplate bling drilled and somewhat-mostly polished, and the welder is supposed to have finished my tabernacle by now. I'll be poking a stick back up into the sky before the month is out...
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

+ Reply to Thread