Tony,
I have very strong opinions on rub rails...here, let me share them with you. If you do not agree with my opinions it is because you are wrong.
The rub rail is there to protect the finish on your boat and act as a bumper. It should stand proud of the freeboard and be able to take some abuse. It should be something you are comfortable using. Tough. Plastic or rubber with stainless. Not pretty and fragile. You have a full keel and a small rudder, you may need to put that rub rail up against a piling to pivot your boat out of a slip. (you know it won't turn in reverse against any kind of wind.) Wanna stop in somewhere against a concrete or rusty sea wall? Fenders are fine but tend to flip out of the way when you really need them. Don't put soft wood under glass, you will crush it. Use oak if you must but know it is sacrificial and will look like crap in a few years, it's pretty hard to maintain bright work that is bolted up against your hull. Look at the plastic rub rails on the Com-PAC 27 and 35. Alot like what you have but tough and usable.
Mike