+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Glad you're OK !! Best of the new year to ya ! I am sure that given time , your ariel will turn out beautiful.....now give yourself a new years present.........TIME

This kinda sucks

I've just gotta get back into boat work to save my soul. So we're starting with 'baby steps' and what better stride than a vacuum bagger? Mind you, I haven't even thrown the switch on this thing yet but it should work. I mean, it's not my brain child. All I did was copy one of Colin Cox's system found on his web site www.buildinggalene.com.

Anyway, Ebb once asked to see my vacuum bagging system and it didn't even exist at that time. So just to keep things right we assembled one. It's venturi operated, controled by a vacuum switch and a solenoid valve.

First on deck are new rails for a sea hood. Yah. The original design I toiled on for countless hours is not going to make the cut. More looking and research and Ebb has driven me to a higher standard. Redesigned side deck scuppers, winch islands and of course the hard dodger and bulworks. But here's the new idea...I call it Inspira'd la C Pete! I'm thinking self-draining, insulated, molded into the cockpit seat DRINK HOLDERS!!
    Attached Images  

wow over kill. I haven't done that much, but I havent run into a situation where the vacuum needed to be regulated, the leaks in the bag kept is from crushing the core in my past foam projects and if the vacuum did exceed your Comfort range for the material your working with poke the bag, and most of the mechanical pumps are rated 100% duty cycle.

That all said, great system.
    #97 "Absum!"

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Keep us updated on the cupholder project.
    Need to keep your priorities straight.

All I've got is a winch handle holder. This is reserved for the Captain's beer.

The crew is required to stay alert
    Attached Images  

You know, Pete, I read that post three times before I noticed the one tucked in the winch handle holder. I guess I was more concerned about the beer that looks to be seriously close to peril

To make a short story long...I'm not a morning person at heart. As a matter of fact I have a real tough time getting to bed before 1:00-1:30a.m.. But in order to get any work done on my 'love' I hit the shop door by 5:00 BIG cup of java in hand.

We made a template of the cabin top and tranfered that to some plywood stringers and made a (?) form to vacuum bag a hard dodger off of. I think yu can see the lines that we're patterning the top to. The curves came from the port frames that way we have some continuity. The areas with the handles cut in will be cored with wood as will the attachment points. The rest will be cored with foam.
    Attached Images  

No man is an island

Googled a set of instructions on building a hot wire foam cutter and I couldn't just let it go to waste! We started with a 1/2" platform of Baltic Birch that gets epoxy coated (X2). The base of the island gets 'pulled' over the ply and a styrofoam mold. Once the epoxy cures we can remove the styro and put in reinforcement and attachment points.

I don't know why I like them so much but I truely do covet winch islands
    Attached Images  

I keep running across these lovely S & S designs with what I imagine are salons NOT saloons coated in raised panels. And who wouldn't love a Cherubini 44 or 48? But who can afford a shaper and expensive bits.

I knew there had to be an easy way to cheat at it. Here it is...
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread