+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Looks pretty damn good! ...doesn't it?

You gonna glass over that foam
    or change it out for wood?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________
    Later Edit.
    You posted that pic just above here without my noticing it - with a question.
    I have to suppose from what you are saying that you do NOT have Pearson built in deck drains (right there by the cockpit), Is that so?
    Let me go the Gallery and see if there's a pic on ebb's....

The best shot of the way the deck drain is made is Ebb's gallery page 1 post 11.
    There you are looking at a snake of fiberglass reinforced plastic that seems to be part of the hull - but it just stops suddenly.
    Where it stops there is a hole exiting the hull around where the boot stripe is.

There is a hole at the other end up ON the deck by the toerail at the cockpit that drains into the 'snake''.
    No way of knowing how the snake was made. It may have been started, I imagine, with a cardboard tube
    cut in half longways, saturated with polyester and pasted to the hull inside, port and starboard.
    There has to be a jog of what may be tubing that shunts from the overhead deck hole inside and over to the hull.

The glassing inside up at the deck was way too messy to figure out how the shunt connection was made.
    That jog must have been a short piece of fiberglass tube. A mess of polyester and matt, but workman-like.
    There has never been a second thought about this feature in the years I have been looking at either one of these oddities.

I added a layer of cloth & epoxy inside over port and starboard snakes of deck drain plumbing - later in the remodel.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
    Later Edit
    OK Tony. Hope I understood your post and you do not have the side deck drains like A-338 - as provided by Pearson.
    Couple of photos on pg4 of ebb's galery. Pg 4, post #61, photo of the port cockpit locker conversion. In the top lefthand corner you see a bit of the port toerail and a ROUND DOT next to it. Dot is the drain.
    See it again in the photo at post #63 - in the lower left corner.
    If you don't have this drain (which is essentially for incidental water like dew runoff or light rain), it's just to get the deck dry. If I wanted to duplicate this feature I would do it only the way Pearson did it!
    By making it part of the hull, glassing the hell out of it, and NOT using any kind of rubber hose. Has to be built in, over built, cannot be hose-clamped hose, which is going to have an accident as soon as you've forgotten about it. Hope this is useful.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
    If you want to drain the deck with a tube at a down angle thru the upper topsides, make it a permanent fiberglass tube, Expect that a high up drain might stain the topsides. That's probably why Pearson did the upscale thing by building it in and exiting the drain down at the waterline!
    Last edited by ebb; 03-20-2012 at 07:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread