+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

There are some things that aren't worth the effort to build if you can find something that is close to what you need. This work bench is a 24" x 48" shelving unit split in half (height wise) and mounted side-by-side. I added a 3/4" thick work top and the 48" x 96" peg board to the back. In hindsight I wish I had spent the extra $12 and bougt 1/4" peg board as the hooks are continuously falling out whenever I grab a tool. I've tried bending them to hold tighter, but, little improvment. Crud.

I added a 2 x 2 in one corner to hold speed clamps and another to the other end of the top to hold the pipe clamps.
    Attached Images        
    Last edited by Tony G; 10-22-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    My home has a keel.

And here's another thing that was cheaper to buy and modify rather than build. It is a direct result of down-sizing. All of this stuff used to be at home in a back room. No more back room.
    Attached Images    
    My home has a keel.

But this is a boat site, isn't it? So where are we at with that?

I am still freaking out about the mast beam. I just can't shake the paranoia of it coming apart because I glued it with titebond II. I could 'fix' it into place like Ebb did, and, that is the most favourable route as of yet. Tearing it out to relaminate will be destructive to say the least. No way around that as it is epoxied in there pretty good. Further more, if it comes out I have seriously entertained the idea of leaving it out and adding a compression post and bulkhead much like a Cape Dory 26. That would aleviate the caving in but necessitate hacking out my hanging locker and a good deal of the two level storage lockers I last added to the forecabin. Who knows, maybe we don't really need a hanging locker. I have to really think about this one before I tear anything out. But sometimes the quickest, most direct route forward starts with a step backwards.. Arrrrgh!!

So let's focus on the stuff we know is going to happen. We are going to add a solent stay to the mast and that is going to mean adding an attachment point on deck. That will get tied into the point on the shear of the bow above the waterline where the support for the bow sprit termnates. Also configured into this assembly is an attachment point for an anchor snubber.

A bow sprit and achor roller(s) is highly desired here. Nothing too fancy. Just some wood and a tack for a cruising asymetrical.

A sacraficial mahogany rub-rail capped with the original stainless hardware and a toe rail. The toe rail will not be as attractive as Ebb's handiwork. I'm thinking utilitarian for safety purposes largely.

Over time I have bought oodles an oodles of parts for a soft dodger and bimini. I really think on small boats like ours you need to make topsides another room as often as possible. With a addition of screens and leeclothes you got a split-level condo!

Here is the basic design of the toe rail profile I am adopting. I want to separate the toe rail and rub rail with a wide cove stripe that contrasts the hull color.
    Attached Images        
    Last edited by Tony G; 10-22-2011 at 08:52 PM.
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread