+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Well, it's not that I'm afraid of commitment. More afraid of being committed!

It took forever to find the line we were looking for. This is what I've come up with so far. I took as much as I could from the Cape Dory 36 because it has that strong Alberg influence or characteristics. But, being our cabin is shaped considerably different from the CD 36 it wasn't a straight transfer from the specs. My first strike was more in line with the coamings of a Shannon 28. Nice but not what I really was looking for.

There is an aft section still waiting to be built and shaped that the traveler is incorporated into. That section will be much easier to layout. WOW! Nothing is symetrical on this boat. Six different stations for each coaming, not a single angle duplicated! I thought it would be easy to 'throw' a couple of coamings on her.
    Attached Images    

sit on coamings!

N I Z E
    curves!
    That'll be gorgeous.

Fibberglass with mahogany top???

Thanks, Ebb.

I'm leaning toward glass with wood caps from the winches forward. That would give me a chance to use some of the original coamings. Probably insert some ash strips for a designated 'step here' spot. insides of the cockpit kept smooth fiberglass with trim around the cut-out for the storage cubby under the winches. Thanks for reminding me that I need to order the turning blocks which will get their own mounting pad like shown in the following photo...thusly
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony G; 06-26-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Finally got some real time in working on the girl again. Got some matt and fabric in the winch cubbies and in the turning block cubbies. Drilled holes for the drains that tie into the locker lid scuppers. Shaped the styro corners, although far from final, and got the outer skins on and the traveler mount glued in. Now some serious shaping, serious grinding and serious glassing and fairing. Seriously...
    Attached Images        

fat coamings

Tony, I really love those coamings!
    Your modeling is to my eye very pro (as in profound) - from the eye-pleasing fronts to curvaceous back. For instance: adding a bit more arch to the traveler 'coaming' across the back is masterful. Really.

Ability to find a higher place to sit in the cockpit area is an important safety concern. Especially if the perch is comfortable.

You'll remember Zoltan saying, when asked about his huge cockpit on the Commander, that it wasn't a concern for him because as much green water that came aboard in rough weather got tossed right back out of the cockpit.

Have a similar problem with getting rid of green water with my remodel in the back of the cockpit on A338. We have to find a way to get water out quickly, VERY QUICKLY, when the water gets higher than the companionway threshold.

I'm not sure that an OB Ariel can depend on the OB well as an ultimate scupper. It certainly is that. But as Zoltan implies: as much water enters the cockpit as exits. It is, however, those split seconds when inundated that the water getting out might also be getting below. And there are I-don't-know-how-many-stories of water getting in to the cabin. Who's to say that in the excitement the drop boards aren't also going overboard.....?

My mahogany extra-tall coamings got screwed up when being surfaced by me. Asleep at the sander was I. So I am thinking of blatantly copying those marvelous coamings of yours.
    BUT the way I go I'd get totally focused on the problem of fabricating fiberglass moldings and it would take me another forever to come up with something at least comparable to yours! There are a lot of good curves that could indicate a relatively light molding. But then there's the wood on top and the bracing for the winches....etc...etc.

Regular coamings that extend above the companionway, on other boats I've seen opening scuppers worked in. Deck level scuppers that only open with pressure from the cockpit side. Not at all sure if they would have enough volume capability. Or if they are really efficient?

Water weight and height in the cockpit has to be GONE immediately.
    There's some math to figure the volume of weight a cockpit contains, it's huge. Enough probably to cause some strange and dangerous trim problems - when too many problems are coming down.

Anyway, just tossing this in to boost your paranoia tolerance
    Looking good!
    Last edited by ebb; 07-26-2009 at 08:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread