+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Who ever would have thought that water tank paint had an expiration? Who would have thought it had been 5 years since I ordered a small kit to coat out the forward tank? Needless to say, I had to swallow hard and order another, new and improved, paint for the water tank. The stuff is amazingly thick! And dries amazingly fast and cures amazingly hard. Which is what one should expect for the price... It was a lot cheaper the first time we ordered it (circa 2010).

So with the painting out of the way we finally got the lid epoxied in place and were able to move on with other jobs in the v-berth. The last tasks to perform on the water tank will be to run the vent and the pick up tube into tank once we get a few other things wrapped up. At least the inspection port and the filler are in place.
    Attached Images  
    My home has a keel.

If you have priced teak lately, you know that it is dang near worth its weight in gold. Around here, it's about as hard to find as a gold nugget. So to that extent, I have been re-purposing (?) some of the original furnishings when ever possible. For me it's not the money saved as much as it is bringing as much of her back to the water as possible. So the former hanging locker is now part of a drawer face and a drop-front locker, and there is still plenty left to use. One snag was a finger hole that had to be filled. Name:  too many finger holes.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  147.8 KB

I thought I had a pretty good match with the grain initially. However, once I chiseled off the 3/16" that was standing proud of the face, the grain "moved" on me and the match was no where near what I was so proud of at first. But, in the end, the extra finger hole was filled and that was the real job at hand.
    Attached Images  
    My home has a keel.

Here you can see the galley coming together. Everything is a compromise. As many times as I tried in the past, and as many different ways I tried, I just could not fit everything I wanted in this hull. So over time, Carol and I hashed out what we thought we'd really need and/or want in the main cabin. We each referenced Calder, Baldwin, Vigor, Shearlock, and the Pardeys to bolster our persuasion over each other. I have to admit, I clung to certain layout concepts and didn't have much of an argument as to why I was "right" other than, "that's the way (so and so) did it." Because indecision was leading to inaction, I let go of some preconceived notions and just "went with it" knowing that any one choice we made would mean there were several others that were removed from the possibilities.

I'm not going to try to argue that the choices we made represent the most logical, or, the safest, or really, anything other than what we decided we wanted. They do, however, represent a starting point for deciding which choices were good, which need tweaking, and which ones were bad choices for us.Name:  galley from the portlight.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  144.9 KBName:  galley from v berth.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  146.2 KB

We have a port side galley arrangement so hove to on a starboard tack the burner will be down hill from us (mostly). The sink will be farthest aft with a sliding cabinet door for access below it. Then we have three drawers for fun stuff. Next, and roughly centered is the cooker. We have a Taylors 029 that will fit in the gap. Moving forward will be the refer/freezer. The louvered doors provide air circulation more than access to additional storage. I know, it seems silly in some ways, but, I made those $#@! things and I'm going to use them.

There will be some additional storage built into these "lowers" and some additional storage above as well.
    Last edited by Tony G; 09-28-2015 at 10:32 PM.
    My home has a keel.

Completely out of step with symmetry and balance, the louvered doors and drop front lockers below them don't flow very well, but, the supporting structure largely determined where the hatches would go. Eh, I'll live with it..Name:  stove and refer locations.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  146.9 KB

Here is a look at the sliding louvered cabinet below the sink.
    Attached Images    
    My home has a keel.

Here is a close up of a screw up that we ended up using. It was a test piece when I set up the router for making the louvered doors so many years ago. It just goes to show you, never throw anything away.Name:  slider detail.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  145.6 KB

All of the plywood will be epoxy coated and covered with some lightweight fiberglass to help tie everything together and give it some more structural integrity. There will be some fairing and filling involved, and then everything (less the teak) will get primed and painted white.

The above photo shows where the cabinetry makes a 90 degree turn from the port side galley run and goes under the main companionway where the wet locker will be. Here is the first piece of the wet locker.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony G; 10-07-2015 at 06:58 PM.
    My home has a keel.

The plan for the starboard side of the main salon will be an extra long setee with storage below and behind. Running all the way from the main bulkhead to the aft most bulkhead under the bridge deck gives a lot of room for lounging. If it all turns out like planned, it will also pull out to make a double sleeper. Fingers crossed.
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread