+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

After proving to myself yet again that the enclosed head idea just wont work for me, and, not being able to think outside the box enough to formulate a new, revolutionary aft head set-up, I set off in a new direction.

Given that the widest point on our hull (on the Ariels) is about the mid to aft section of the main cabin it the makes most sense to me to locate an athwartship convertable berth there. Right about where my galley is now... So I tossed around the idea of moving the galley to mid ship across the main bulkhead much like Geoff did on UHURU. That would allow for 2 quarter berths that could be used underway or pull double-duty as storage, as I understand most do. I can easily bridge the walkway for a queen sized harbour berth, and, keep my hanging wet-locker under the companionway which I believe is my only original contribution to this project.

As for moving the galley forward I have to give up my standing headroom while preparing those exquisite, gourmet meals I'm known for....right. But I recall Geoff's rational as food prep. being a 'sit down job' anyway. I can do that. There is an illustration in one of Ferenc Mate's books of a galley slave stool that was just a bit higher than setee height that allowed one to work without having to stand. Ingenious!!! Most of the employees here would LOVE that! My other concern with regard to moving the galley forward is ventilation. Not only because I'm a lousy cook and the smoke and the smell, but also the heat. Heat from the cook stove and the refer. I do have the two dorades located directly above and those used in conjunction with the forward hatch, the bow ventilator and the main hatch will move some air through the interior. But I remembered I still have the 13" Bomar I tried to sell a while back. What if I dropped that into the seahood? If the sliding hatch is only partially closed I could have full venting capacity from the smaller Bomar. Sure the RBV is an issue, but that's easy enough to handle. It could work!

Another issue I've been throwing about my brain pan is moving the anchor chain stowage back a little farther. Let me be the first to admit I've had some hare brained ideas! But this one might just work. Because I have the port side storage lockers going in along side the, what was the V-berth but is now a '\-berth' I have a way to add a chain pipe that wouldn't be in the middle of the 'bed'. If the locker works it would pile the chain about where the aft end of the original water tank would be. Right now it's just an idea. I have to see if I can get the chain to 'spill' to the center of the space.

Only other great shake is moving the original chain locker bulkhead forward 6-8 inches for more leg room on those berths if they need to be used. I want to add some support in that area for a deck eye so we can add a removable solent stay. And, well, as long as we're in the area....

Just some ideas and conclusions. But this isn't a true study so I could be wrong on both parts and all of the above. Mull it over and shoot it apart. I think that's the only way to make it evolve and get there.
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tony G; 05-22-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    My home has a keel.

Tony,

I sure do like looking at your work. She is a blessed ship indeed to have come under your shops roof.

I had not noticed the port light delete before. I had considered the same thing on Faith. You get plenty of light in the opening hatch, I never open them, too many accounts of the latches breaking off ...

Is that permanent, or are you installing something else there?

I think your decision to re-consider the head there is wise. I can not imagine the torture trying to extricate one's self from that location if you were underway and just finishing your coffee while underway...

THe hatch on top of the hatch is interesting... Looks like it wold only get air when the hatch was closed... unless I am missing something.
    I usually just leave the hatch open in all but the worst weather... gotta love the dodger. What conditions would you use that topside opening hatch in?

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread