+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

solent stay

GOT IT!
    Actually got it backwards.
    If the reason for a solent stay is because you have a permanent furler on the forestay, then in theory the solent will be used for the storm sail - hanked on.
    That would mean you can put the attachment point for the solent as far forward as you need to and even get a decent sized staysail.

The attachment for a storm sail in the Ariel deck is pretty technical, I think.
    If the solent is more forward then the 'U-bolt' can be backed up with a turnbuckle to a strongpoint built into the stem. I mean a turn buckle more forward would be less in the way in the chain locker.

[At one point I imagined a reverse eye in the stem, attached thru the stem with the eye inside!
    Desperate measures - don't know if it is practical - but you do need imco more backup than what you can get with our composite deck and plywood.]

A Solent stay is a movable stay.
    ABI is out of business and their Hyfield lever no longer available.
    Johnson makes a nice backstay turnbuckle with integrated levers for tensioning that have been used for Solent stays by others.
    Might be worth looking into. 5/16", $400!
    Last edited by ebb; 06-16-2010 at 09:55 AM.

wether you spell it hyfield or highfield it is high bucks and hard to find! I've run across a few used ones but they have been for a much bigger stay diameter than practical for my needs.

Some plan-B, C and D ideas include:
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tony G; 07-07-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    My home has a keel.

+ Reply to Thread