+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Main bulkhead mast support

An unsupported (in the middle) xompression beam can be a little un settling to look at, I guess. Someone has said that a single compression post was great to grab and swing yourself around with, in or out of the V-berth area. So you could keep it wide with that fine laminated beam you have, supported at the ends, and use a curtain for privacy, rather than that tiny opening the originals have.

I've just removed the 1/4" teak ply in small jagged pieces from the sole. It was tough as nails and stuck down with a mean rubber mastic. In some places we pulled the glass cloth coating off the the 3/4" stuff underneath. But instead of the mystery space between the teak sole and the hull sides, now we can see that the sole is glassed in in the usual way to the hull, and it'll be a piece of cake to cut the plywood out. IMCO it would be easy to lower it.

Intend to take it out, clean out the last of the original remaining paint from the bilge, glass in lateral supports in the form of frp bulkheads or floors, and reclose it at about the same height thereby creating an extra tank. For rum. Or gin. A very stiff bilge tank. Whats keeping me in check at the moment are decent waterproof cleanout hatches at a realistic price. Each bay needs access
    Certainly top it off with some sort of wood deck.

Will you go like this? It certainly is a great place for a water or waste tank!
    Last edited by ebb; 09-05-2003 at 11:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread