+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Hey Tony, glad to see they finally got electricity to ya in the shop.
    Got to put away those ole kerosene lanterns , eh?
    Nice looking boat!
    Last edited by ebb; 11-16-2009 at 11:47 PM.

I've been digging around looking at dodger designs that will fit my particular needs. Having a convertible or drop-top feature is pretty easy to accomodate into nearly all dodger designs. That is the 'easy' part. However, the areas that needed addressing here are the extreme 'sweep' outward these new, fatter cockpit coamings have and the not-so-typical mounting location of the dodger main frame on the cabintop. I purposely provided a solid mounting pad on the aft end of the cabintop coamings for mounting hardware being it was easy to do while I was in the area. But, as you all know, traditional dodgers frames are typically mounted on the cabin sides below the plane of the cabin top, or, on the breakwaters at the forward end of the coamings, or, on the coaming itself.

Years ago Ebb brought to our attention a company called Iverson Design and they had this photo of a Dana 24 with a dodger design that looks like it will fit my needs pretty good. It should be possible to add some removable 'wings' that will extend the dodger sides from the aft bow to a point just forward of the winches if deemed necessary in weather. Otherwise, I think going forward would be a little less restricted by the dodger sans wings. I think a bimini would be a nice addition too for sunnier climes. (read NOT Minnesota) And I am totally with Ebb in the cockpit version of a three season room.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony G; 01-26-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Canvas dodger folks can go around or solve any challenge you come up with - if you are going professional $$$$ with it.

Probably get a bunch of say 3/4' PVC tube and mock up a structure. Play with the angles, curves, widths and height. Maybe use blocks of wood with the appropriate tube size drilled in them to act as bases.

PVC is easy to bend into permanent curves with a heat gun or a gas bottle.
    And you may be bending the real stuff yourself.
    Bases for tube come in standard angles - you can plan for them when designing.

When we get above the deck we have a proportion problem with any permanent structure. But in your shop you'll be able to see your model from every angle - except maybe 30/60 feet off the side where many fotos are taken. The bimini always looks awkward to me. Imco any camping-out structure is forgiven because it's taken down when sailing.
    The dodger, if it's permanent has to be proportional. Doctor Alberg's ROUNDED cabin design imco implies a rounded rather than a squared dodger.Wiill look better especially if it has to be bigger than expected because the Ariel is so small.

I think the pulpit Pearson put on the bow is only about 24" tall. And it looks right. But it's too short for me unless I'm crawling on the foredeck.
    With the forest of chrome and polished stainless planted on modern cruisers it's becoming more acceptable to our eye to have extra stuff above the sheer line.

The dodger is not only an aesthetic but a windage problem.
    I don't think you'll have any problem with the aesthetics!
    An all cloth dodger/bimini may be the only solution for an Ariel.
    The 'pram' dodger folds forward and out of the way
    and the bimini is taken down like a tent and stowed when not in use.
    So stanchion bases or even permanent low s.s. tube 'seat backs' around the cockpit can be attachment points for the taller but temp binimi structure.
    Think I want low (but high enough to put an arm up) stepover tubes on the sides of the cockpit placed to lean against when sailing or lounging.

So I would plant PVC pipe around wherever, and add and remove. Play it out.
    I'd try double sided carpet tape to stick the mock-up wood 'bases'. Use the more expensive stuff that has a fiberglass cloth inside, it allows you to peel it off.

I've come to see the Ariel as a 3/4 size boat.
    Nearly everything I put in or on lit'lgull must be the smallest size that works.
    If cruising in a rainy area or heading for the tropics a bow to stern bimini would make the whole deck into the 'extra room'. Bigger projects could be tackled or going topside at any time could save your marriage I'd have a closable cockpit salon in any case
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
    Here's something else to consider for camping out
    www.mosquitocurtains.com
    Go to 'PhotoGallery' Unusual #1' for a couple pic of noseeum netting used on a bimini. Some ideas on the tube framing also.
    Last edited by ebb; 01-28-2010 at 02:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread