Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Threaded View

Vertical imprints

Not near the boat right now, but next time I'll get the trouble light and make marks on the hull. Awhile ago we lightly sprayed some dark grey laquer primer over the topsides. sanded it with a flexible long board, and came up with a depressing number dark areas. They've faded.

Dave sys his V-berth stringers on his Commander show up outside.

338, just below the sheer, has two 3' long (1/4" deep in the center) lozenge-shaped hollows in front of where the companionway bulkhead is. Last week I sighted an earlier hull (#175) that was perfectly fair in that area. 'Course it was relaxed in the water - I may have developed these hollows while sitting in the jacks. ??

So what I will look for are the vertical imprints, I really don't think they are there - but I will find out.

Trying to imagine the schedule for putting these boats together, the stringers would have to go in after the bulkheads, but befor the tabbing. So I don't see how the hull could not be cured. You have to be working inside without the wax coat on. And the deck mold wouldn't be on yet. So the hull had to be out of the mold? and free standing? No. Had to be in the mold because the deck had to meet the hull 1/8" tto 1/8" all the way around! So you'ld have to really slap all the fundamentals in like fast. Maybe I can't imagine how fast. Maybe the boat was still hot when they rolled it out into the sun, ready to launch!

Some boats have these horizontal imprint anomalies, some don't. Some have these hollows, like 338. So maybe on another post we can figure out the best way to take care of the problem, if it is a problem? Leave it and love it? Or fill, fair and fiddle?
    Last edited by ebb; 09-16-2003 at 05:55 PM.