+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Wow! it's the end of April allready! I finally got to go up and see the love again. Spent some time just sitting in different spots wiping away the accumulation of dust, dirt and any unsavory sign of Old Man Winter's recent visit. I'm still okay with the fatter, taller cockpit coamings. The dodger coamings are still 'on', although I wish I had installed a MUCH larger conduit for the instrument bundle wiring and may have to do a 'radical, post-attached, ectomy of some sort. And the cockpit stowage in the forward section of the footwell? Still leaning in that direction in a not-quite-so-obtrusive design. I know, Craig, I know...

But down below I still don't have a place to lie down comfortably. And that's a very big thing if one is hoping to gain any restorative powers from sleep. The hard, cold fact of the matter is I've screwed-up! The good thing is all those hours of studying (looking at pictures of) larger boats exposed me to design features I liked and thought useful. The bad thing is I tried to duplicate a +/-40 foot boat in a 25+ foot boat. Maybe it can be done but I haven't done it here. It might look good through a camera lens but doesn't wear well when you're in it. Crap! Crud! Which ever.

The long and short of it is I'll have to remove a good deal of the work I've done and start over. Hey, it's not such a bad thing. Could be worse. I'll just look at it from the stand point of this boat deserves better and I know I can do better. Realisticly it's going to be a few years before she gets to meet the briney anyway. Besides, with all the captains on this forum doing all work that's going on there will be some really cool ideas to steal!

Thanks for listening to me snivel and drone on.
    Last edited by Tony G; 04-27-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Tony....please feel free to vent anytime you need to, but please don't leave us hanging like that. What do you have to take out to accomplish what goal?
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Exclamation Re re renovation

Hey Tony,
    Taking off from Jerry's byline, which sounds very Edisonian to me, and spot on: maybe adding a paraphrase from Edison, The Man and His Work by George S Bryan 1926 on his electric light improvement:

"The electric light has caused me the greatest amount of study and has required the most ELABORATE EXPERIMENTS
    ....Altho I was never myself discouraged or hopeless about its success, I cannot say that of my associates....
    Through all the years of experimenting with it, I never once made an associated discovery. It was deductive...
    The results I achieved were the consequence of invention - pure and simple.

"I would CONSTRUCT and work along various lines until I found them untenable.
    When one theory was DISCARDED, I developed another at once.

"I realized very early that this was the only possible way for me to work out all the problems."

Perhaps a little long, this - but it describes a process of handling disappointment. Or, obviously, of not getting into that, not giving it any weight, just a step in the process.
    It's the process that's important, that's where the breath and the brain is.

So if you glued it in, you can take it out, it's only SNOT as Herreshoff called it.

You have the boat, you have unique ideas, you like the PROCESS, working in the shop,
    otherwise you'd be selling mortgage insurance.

Edison also is quoted as saying he liked his phonograph invention best.
    Rest assured, there will be music and dancing when launching day arrives!
    Last edited by ebb; 04-27-2010 at 09:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread