+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fruits Of My Labor (A-113)

Hybrid View

Well, my buddy wanted his hammer back so I figured we better get some wood working done. Same as always, start getting nervous, then shaking, worried about screwing something up. Or cutting off a finger...

It's the last teak the hardwood supplier around town will bring in. Then I mixed in some of the old Ensign's cockpit parts for luck. Luck, ha! I couldn't afford to buy any more teak if I wanted to. I always liked the look of the Cabo Rico interiors and their doors look strong and dummy resistant. That's exactly what I need!

Of course these are pictures of a bunch of pieces just lying there. But you get the idea. Making one board many pieces is the easy part. Making many pieces one.......
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by Tony G; 09-02-2009 at 07:29 PM.

First class joinery there Tony!
    Want to see the set mounted IN the boat.....

There you go, sir! Done with tape, but, mounted none the less.
    Attached Images  

This one might require a bit of a stretch on imagination, but, I found this pic that kinda, in way, if look past all the other stuff shows about what the cockpit locker I've been babbling about adding would look like insitu. The towel even has lines in it that mimic(in my mind)teak decking.

Ok, maybe I should lay off the Gosling's and get back to work...
    Attached Images  

We've decided to ditch the hard dodger and go with a canvas drop-top style jobbie like the folks at Gemini canvas make(www.geminicanvas.com). That will reduce some of the weight and be much more flexible as far as going below and going forward. I want to add a bimini too so being able to drop the dodger if not needed to increase airflow seems like a plus.

It started to look like things were progressing way too fast here, so these ought to add a few more weeks (read months) to the 'project'.

The first shot is the basic layout just trying to get a feel for room requirments and if everything will fit in. The second shot is a wire chase that run wires up to the compass or display heads whichever route I decide to take. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not AYBC (or is it ABYC?) approved, but it was late and the hardware stores were closed. I would have much rather used flexible conduit and I might change it before the cap goes on.
    Attached Images        
    Last edited by Tony G; 09-19-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Thumbs up

Absolutely amazing Tony!

I LOVE the lines, and the way they complement the combings... which look like the curves Carl drew there...

The drain tube integrated into the dodger combing is a great idea.... it looks like you plumbed it into the recessed area where the standard nav lights sat. Good thinking... I imagine the tubes run down through the old wire chase that is molded into the cabin liner.

Lucky is the dodger that will sit on such a base... tough propisition for one on the 'stock' Ariel cabin top. I used a sail batten sewn into the hem with hold downs on either end. Works ok, but nothing like it would with that set up....

WRT your cockpit locker. My recommendation is that you mock it up and go sailing with it before you commit to it. I know Atom has fuel cans there, and James certainly has spent many moons in his cockpit... but that is a Triton. The corner of that locker is the natural helms man position (IMHO) and I would not be willing to give up room right there for anything but my legs. Just one guys opinion... worth exactly what you paid for it.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Tony...you got it go'in on!

+ Reply to Thread